Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill de Brooklyn

Thinkfish semi automatic fly reel

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

BklynBill - impressive looking 22nd Century product.

I have the same reel that Eddy posted about and have had it since the 1950's.

Eddy posted "nothing new

I have a Shakespeare Silent Tru-Art Automatic reel"

It works but it is noisey and not sutible for the saltwater environment.

The new one might be something to toy with, but it has to have moving parts and a spring of some sort.

Sand, and salt could wreak havoc with the guts of the reel.

I don't think you could play a fish of a large size with the lever and stripe striking might e more like strip losing if the spring is wound too tight.

Let us know how you make out.

This is one of those ideas that keeps coming around.

I prefer to "reel" in my fish myself, you can always hold line with one hand and take up the extra at the beginning of the fight.

O

I think one of the best things about fly fishing is fighting the fish with the line until they "earn" their way onto the reel - it's part of the game, part of what makes it fly fishing. Wouldn't matter to me how inventive anyone gets with these automatic fly reels, I like the excitement and challenge of managing the line with my hands until the fish gets on the reel smile.gif

TimS

Goldstar002.jpg

semi automatic fly reels are not to be confused with the old, heavy automatic fly reels of yesteryear. i don't own a thinkfish but i do own a franco vivarelli goldstar. I've caught stripers, northern pike, big carp & bass with the reel. these reels are made from aluminum blocks and can survive salt water, being dunked in water, there is no rust or big spring either.

The issue with a reel like that is that there is a learning curve. You need to learn how to use it to your advantage then swear off traditional reels ( or risk "unlearning"). That said, I don't think there is an argument that faster line pick-up isn't a good thing.

FWIW, I'll stick to my single action reels for most of my SW fishing but do use and enjoy several multiplier style fly reels (that pick up line 2x faster with no learning curve) for warm water fishing.