Why would anyone want to go the OBX?????

Rate this topic

Simp

View PostAre you generalizing the entire OBX and it's people? That's what it sounds like.

I don't think he was refering to everyone from the north. I believe he's referring to a much smaller number of people that come down here with an attitude of superiority, insulting and complaining about everything (kind of like your first post). smile.gif

Actually, I was sounding off and not as clear as i should have been. I was referring only to the beaches I and my family visited. Rodanthe, Hatteras, and two unnamed drive on beaches in between. For all i know the rest of OBX could be pristine beach. It just so happened that the beaches we visited were a mess. I should have been clear that i wasn't referring to all of OBX.

As for my comment about the people being slobs, well what else could you call people who make a mess, and don't clean it up? And yes, i realize that many out of staters are among those making the mess. But, and this is the big but, this doesn't happen in NJ. If you go onto a NJ swimming beach at 8pm Saturday evening you're going to find a lot of trash. That's what big crowds do, they make a mess. However, if you go onto that same swimming beach at 8am Sunday morning, no trash. it's gone! The beach has been raked and looks like it's never had a foot set on it. Unlike the posters on this thread, there is no pointing fingers about who made the mess and who should clean it up. It's real simple here, it's our beach and our responsiblity to keep it clean. That, even though, it is mostly out of staters who cause the mess.

I claim no superiority. You guys are spinning it because you don't like what I've said. I'm merely relating a bad experience. And, as i said this happened over two trips, not one, so, yeah, we figured after trip one, not the norm for OBX. After trip two and a similar result we wrote off OBX for family vacas. The way we figured it was that the place had changed. WE figured too many people had found the place and unlike areas to the north in MD, DE, NJ, and NY, NC hadn't figured out how to keep it's beaches clean. Regardless, we stopped coming for family vacas but still come to fish and hang glide the dunes.

Going to OBX and having this happen is like going to a fine restaurant and being seated at an unbussed table. As you sit there looking at the previous guest's leftovers and soiled napkins, is it complaining to say something about it? Are you exibiting an air of superiority if you tell others about your negative experience?

On the plus side of things down that way, the coalition leadership fighting the pollution problems in the Tar River Basin, Pamlico Sound and Abemarle sound, serve as a national model on solving water pollution problems. We could use some of that thinking up here with Barnegat Bay which is headed in the wrong direction.