Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NS Mike D

Rudder Mount Question

5 posts in this topic

My wife has a milibu extreme tandem, and last year, some idiots stole the rudder. It as locked up on the dingy rack so they snapped off bolts.

Not so much of a big deal. I still had my rudder kit for my tarpon. It was on back order for none months when I bought that kayak, and decided I preferred less weight after seeing I didn't really need a rudder on that yak.

BUt my problem is that I had to drill out the snapped off bolts and have no threads on the inside nuts to secure the rudder and no access to the inside nuts to replace them.

Any suggestions? My concern is the self securing bolts would not be strong enough to secure the stress that might come from the rudder.

Precious little stress when turning and the rudder kicks up if you hit something going foreward. If you launch with the rudder down and hit something, that is another story entirely.

I've had home made rudders on 3 yaks of my own and installed several others and have never had a problem. All except one were screwed on.

so do upi think well nuts will be fine?

the stipped extsting nuts are still secure on the inside, not sure if I'll be able to remove them easily.