Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassAddict

Tiny Shark Makes The News

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

These guys are all over the news up here. confused.gif I don't get it.

Is even taking a fish like this legal?

Updated 7:00 AM EDT, Mon, Aug 2, 2010

Two Milford fishermen made quite a big weekend catch while fishing on Long Island Sound when they reeled in a 4-foot sand tiger shark instead of striped bass.

Steve Thomas said he has fished in the Sound his whole life and he has only seen a sand tiger shark once before.

"We realized the girth on this and said this was no average shark," Thomas said.

Thomas and his friend, Nick Vicino, put the fish in a cooler and showed off their prize to people stopping by.

Tiger sand sharks aren't uncommon to this area, Donald Harrington, a biologist from the Mystic Aquarium, said.

"These are not dangerous animals," he said, but the number of sand tiger sharks is dwindling and he recommends releasing the fish back into the wild when caught.

Thomas and Vicino said that, from now on, they will release sharks they capture, but for now they are celebrating their big catch.

"I've always told people there are no sharks with teeth in here, but I guess I was proved wrong last night," Vicino said.

Sand tigers are federally protected...quite threatened actually. Hopefully the local fish and wildlife division pays him a visit. Love the accurate reporting of a "tiger" shark as well. One will rip your arm off, the other you can almost pet.

A shark that you can fit in a cooler...my hero.

Wait, this idiot has fished the sound his entire life and has only seen 1 sand tiger? And people say there aren't any in the sound? I go to Harwich in the fall and pull these guys out all night while dead sticking bunker at night for blues and bass (all Sand Tigers released of course).

What the HECK ...

Lets say I catch a 4 foot tiger shark and have no intention on eating it.

The thought of killing it and showing it off wouldn't even run through my mind.

Im 13 and I think I have established the same theory as you guys...

"Why kill it if it wouldn't be eaten."

Sand tigers are very docile dispite the look of there ragged teeth. They come in the great south bay here on lonhisland every summer, my friend caught one over 200lbs, he let it go. He caught that one at a very busy swimming area on the bayside of fireisland. Brown sharks also enter the bays, ive seen them up in brackish water creeks before.

I have fished the sound since 1978 and never caught one,the first one I saw was caught by a friend 1/2 mile south off lighthouse point in 96,since then this one in milford.

I always knew there were some somewhere.

H-H

Even the biologist is undermining this a bit - instead of 'suggesting' it's release, why not flat out tell the reporter how it is...which is that these guys actually broke the law by killing it

About 10 years ago at one of the spots I fish in the western sound a sand tiger has come up. My brotherinlaw was chunking and caught one about 35#. He still has the jaws

If you dont plan on eating it, guess what, a picture tastes just the same!! C&R you look like a bigger ****** than you think by gloating and showing off a dead fish with no intent to keep it or use it for research or any means justifiable for just killing it.mad.gifmad.gif