Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tuntini31

spool button

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I dont know much about bait runners but,I hove old dam quick reels that have a button on the drag nob.You can push it down and the spool pops off.Try pushing it and see what happensbiggrin.gif

Oh. I googled "baitrunner" and it's some sort of gimmickey doohickey on a reel. Kewl.

My reel is a baitrunner what does that mean?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

(Yes, the "Baitrunner" is a shimano reel. However, there are MANY companies that produce baitrunner-type reels....Daiwa, Tica, Okuma, etc.)

Baitrunner reels feature a secondary drag function. This is, like other's said, to have a controlled "free-spool" so that when fishing bait (live or cut), you can allow a fish to take the bait, travel with it to allow it to swallow it enough, then get a good hook set. The reason they are desirable/useful is because they offer the ability of little or no tension without opening the bail arm or changing your main drag setting.

The lever near the rear of your reel is what controls the baitrunner feature. If you leave it off, then the drag on the front of the spool is what is engaged. When you flip the lever, the spool disengages from the front drag, releasing tension, and the drag function switches to the drag controlled by the knob at the rear of the reel. The rear drag will only be able to put a small amount of pressure on the spool, about 1-2.5lbs of drag. This isn't much.

The idea is that once a fish has taken the bait and run with it, you can either make a turn of the handle or flip the switch and engage the main drag allowing you to fight the fish normally.

This from some web page out there. Sounds like a good deal under certain apps.

Very simple that is your fighting drag. When you have the lever in the line out position the bottom knob is your tension for that.. how fast the line will go out while the fish is running with the bait. One does not effect the other they have two different functions.

View Postwhat does the spool button on a baitrunner do?? I'm sure it is easy and this sounds like a stupid question. thanks

You are gonna have to tell us what brand of Baitrunner.......The Shimano Baitrunner has no "button" on the spool.........headscratch.gif....it has a "knob" on the top of the spool, and that is used to adjust the main drag tension. If you back it all the way off and remove it, it allows you to remove the spool from the reel.