Whats so special about Abus?

Rate this topic

Slick706

I just dont get it, why do alot of you guys out there like Abu Garcias so much. 6500CL rockets, 7000, 7700, 7500C3, 6500 chrome rockets? whats so good about these reels. Please expalin to me? Do they cast so well? Drags are superior? I only use Abus for fluking, 5600 winch low gear ratio one, 4600c4 and 5500c3.

For me, i like star drag reels and i can never replace my Pro Gear cs501 for 8nbait and fishing and from the boat for bass/tog/seabass/blues and even small tuna.

Easy to maintain because the engineering is simple to understand, fairly cheap, parts readily available, and mostly interchangeable. Easy to upgrade, and customize. Very user friendly as far as casting, and some are the best casting reels out there. I believe in competition casting, most guys use Abus and Penn mags.

Really it comes down to a personal preference. You said you like your Pro Gear reel, and that is the most important thing. You like to use it, really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I don't think anyone is saying they are "special" per say, for me it was the reel I grew up with and have fond memeries with.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...they have longevitywink.gif

Quan, i do see alot of distance casting guys love the 6500cl rocket or another 6500 type reel. Do the levelwinds really cast that well? i would think otherwise. I just hear some guys i fish with talk alot of trash about Abus, they say they suck basically. I dont use them for any surf fishing or anything other then fluking. The pro gear reel is 18oz, not light but not heavy. If i can get a lighter reel that casts well i would try it out. I just bought a Daiwa Millionaire 7HT off BST and wanted to try out a better casting reel. The pro gear doesnt cast all that great, its good, but i can use a little more distance. What type of Abu would fit a 10ft rod 20-40lb and cast 6-8oz sinkers? 6500CL rocket or 7500C3?

View PostQuan, i do see alot of distance casting guys love the 6500cl rocket or another 6500 type reel. Do the levelwinds really cast that well? i would think otherwise. I just hear some guys i fish with talk alot of trash about Abus, they say they suck basically. I dont use them for any surf fishing or anything other then fluking. The pro gear reel is 18oz, not light but not heavy. If i can get a lighter reel that casts well i would try it out. I just bought a Daiwa Millionaire 7HT off BST and wanted to try out a better casting reel. The pro gear doesnt cast all that great, its good, but i can use a little more distance. What type of Abu would fit a 10ft rod 20-40lb and cast 6-8oz sinkers? 6500CL rocket or 7500C3?

The rocket has the 6.1 gears right? I think you'd be better off retrieving that kind of payload with the 7500c3. Either should cast fine on that rod

"A jury of flies, likely to condemn and betray all the trouts in the river" - Izaak Walton

Yes they cast very well. I was fishing the cape cod canal this past weekend and a guy was plugging with a Abu 7000 CL big game (level wind) and he was casting 3/4 across with a 11' Lami Super surf. I have been fishing Abu's since the early 90's 7000C3 being one of my favorites. I used this reel to troll tube and worms for stripers, live lined pogies with it and casted plugs and chunck with it. The fun is they can be tuned by adding bearings, different oils, removing brakes etc. The Swedish made ones are also built very well. I'm not the lastest and greatest guy but tend to me more of a frugal "yankee" so I want my stuff to last. I also like using proven gear. I wash these reels with fresh water after use and tune them up once a year. the drags on the older one were aweful but I changed all mine to carbontex smoorth drag washer which made a huge difference. 6500, 7000, & 7500 series are my favoritesheart.gif

I agree 100% with Quan & will add that if anyone is just starting out with a Bait caster these are the reels to learn on. You can pick up a used one in decent shape for $50.00. And you don't have to brake the bank.

I think the guy's your talking about the say they suck are the younger guy's that have no or any experence with these reels.

If they really sucked they would have never lasted for all those years.

Are there better reels with stronger Drags & Better features. The answer is yes . But these reels are casting machines with a proven record.

SrFSlick IMO if your throwing that kind of weight you want to look at the 7000 size.

I have Penns 965,975,525's Shimano Calcutta's TE's Torium's Trinidad's,Avid ETC & all are great in there own. But The Abu's have a special place in my heart.

IMO the Morrum is one of there best along with the older big game.

1 of my Favorites is the 6600CLW that I picked up new several years ago but for some reason was discontinuedheadscratch.gif It's a extra wide one piece frame,casts a mile & handles big fish. I've been asked several times from people to sell it for more than I paid for it. But I love this reel.

Alan Tini an Abu Guru just finished working on it & tweaked it up & said this reel is a winner.

But like everything else People like different things & that is perfectly fine with me. And If been fishing some 50 odd yrs!

Quan, i do see alot of distance casting guys love the 6500cl rocket or another 6500 type reel. Do the levelwinds really cast that well? i would think otherwise.

If by "distance" casting you mean on the grass field, no-one I know uses a levelwind, if the reel originally had one it gets removed for tournament casting. A tournament conversion is typically done to most reels for field use, although some might use a stock 5500/6500 CTC3 mag elite (non-levelwind) right out of the box.

As you correctly state-- all levelwinds will rob some distance from the reel-- but for fishing purposes levelwinds can be used and bearings installed to reduce the friction to some degree.

"I was a waste of time dumbasses." --  sevenxseventy01

View PostI agree 100% with Quan & will add that if anyone is just starting out with a Bait caster these are the reels to learn on. You can pick up a used one in decent shape for $50.00. And you don't have to brake the bank.

I think the guy's your talking about the say they suck are the younger guy's that have no or any experence with these reels.

If they really sucked they would have never lasted for all those years.

Are there better reels with stronger Drags & Better features. The answer is yes . But these reels are casting machines with a proven record.

SrFSlick IMO if your throwing that kind of weight you want to look at the 7000 size.

I have Penns 965,975,525's Shimano Calcutta's TE's Torium's Trinidad's,Avid ETC & all are great in there own. But The Abu's have a special place in my heart.

IMO the Morrum is one of there best along with the older big game.

1 of my Favorites is the 6600CLW that I picked up new several years ago but for some reason was discontinuedheadscratch.gif It's a extra wide one piece frame,casts a mile & handles big fish. I've been asked several times from people to sell it for more than I paid for it. But I love this reel.

Alan Tini an Abu Guru just finished working on it & tweaked it up & said this reel is a winner.

But like everything else People like different things & that is perfectly fine with me. And I been fishing some 50 odd yrs!

in dog years smile.gifkiss.gif it also seems like there is an abu for every type of fishing imaginable, all baitcasters. i still haven't owned one, but have played with a few and if i ever go back to bait fishing, except for carp, i'll definitely be picking up an abu

#1 white bucktail. #2 bunker chunk. #3 bone Redfin

thx all, i appreciate the responses. And yes the younger guys are the ones who have been saying these reels are not great reels. Im going to give it a shot and see if i can get a 7000 or 7700CL or maybe get my hands on a 7500C3 or 7000c3, I def like fishing in bad weatherm during a sweep with high winds using 8oz is a common occurance for me. That Pro Gear reel is like a winch! but its narrow similar in width to a Penn 146 Squidder. I want a reel with better line displacement and that casts well. Sounds like those Abus may fit what i need. Now the problem is trying to find one of these. Ebay is a rip off i would be more comfortable buying from BST here on SOL. Like i said i just got a Daiwa Millionaire 7HT, i have no idea how big this reel is i just know its a tournament reel that can cast well. I wanted it for my rainshadow 1087 i hope it is a good fit.