Voluntary Organizations That Sustain Civil Society Without Govenment Power

Rate this topic

NS Mike D

This oped from the WSJ caught my eye, particulary the part about Alexis de Tocqueville's view about volunteer organizations ability to sustain civil society without government power.

There were posts about Obama and the political message surrounding his choices for vacations, but IMO, his absence from the 100 year jamboree might have said more about his views on government v private works.

100 Years of Merit Badges

The Boy Scouts celebrate 100 years.

Most Americans live their lives blessedly far from the political headlines, and for some 35,000 Boy Scouts and their adult volunteers the big event of the summer is the annual National Scout Jamboree now underway in Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia. This year's gathering is especially meaningful because the Boy Scouts of America are celebrating the 100th anniversary of their founding by newspaperman and magazine publisher William D. Boyce.

Scouting isn't fashionable in our politically correct age, since the organization bars openly gay scoutmasters, atheists or girls under the age of 13. Naturally this has led to lawsuits, most of which the Boy Scouts have won. Some 2.8 million boys across the country nonetheless belong to Scout troops, learning the traditional Scout values of trustworthiness, loyalty to friends and country, and volunteering in the community.

They also still work to acquire "merit badges" by mastering a particular skill, such as first aid, cooking, camping, hiking, environmental science and personal fitness. To become an Eagle Scout requires 21 merit badges. Some 212 Members of the 111th Congress were either Scouts as boys or served as adult leaders, which shows that Scouting does not guarantee a successful career choice, but it has done an enormous amount of good by turning millions of boys into better men.

It's too bad President Obama couldn't find time to address this year's 100th anniversary Jamboree. The boys would have cheered him, and he might have noted what Alexis de Tocqueville called the particular American genius for voluntary organizations that sustain civil society without government power. America would be a poorer place without the Boy Scouts, so congratulations on a century of merit.

"... let it go - lets move forward."

but IMO, his absence from the 100 year jamboree might have said more about his views on government v private works.

I agree - it seems our beloved leader has a soft spot for Government Approved Activisim.

When ACORN celebrates a milestone year, I'm sure he'll make room on his calendar.

This is one of those issues that have grown on me over the last several days. The more I think about it, the more I am frustrated with the President's actions.

The Boy Scouts are a special organization in American society. He absolutely should have been there, but didn't figure they were important enough.

Who the hell is this man? Does he hold himself that far apart from the average American?

View PostThis is one of those issues that have grown on me over the last several days. The more I think about it, the more I am frustrated with the President's actions.

The Boy Scouts are a special organization in American society. He absolutely should have been there, but didn't figure they were important enough.

Who the hell is this man? Does he hold himself that far apart from the average American?

same here Dan, this too has been growing on me, and echoing in the background was dubyas comments years ago about volunteer organizations doing their thing as part of the basic meaning of being American, and not having to rely on government to get things done.

That is why I started this thread. It's an organization that penetrates every part of america, has special ties to the leadership of this country, and a milestone that symbolizes endurance, the ability to change with the times yet never abandoning their core values.

At a time when the government's ability to solve our problems has come under question like never before, this would have been a good time to remind us that we all can make a difference, one volunteer group at a time.

Every president since William Taft in 1910 has taken an active part in the work of scouts and served as it's honorary president.

But he did not attend the 100 year gala in February.

I understand he was an active scout in Indonesia , he accepted the Honorary President position in BSA, he did write a congratulatory letter for the Gala, and his electronic signature does appear on the new Eagle Scout certificates, so I would think he was very aware of the tradition of his office and scouting, which makes me wonder why he chose to snub this event in favor of the View, especially since he blew off the Feb Gala.

Maybe he snubbed him for the same reason KoQ won't buy their plants.

Its politically incorrect because it grasps moral Truth.

Openly gays rarely reach retirement age.

Atheists have alarming suicide rates.(shh, no-ones supposed to talk about that)

...and its the BOY scouts. Theres a reason for it.

View Post

I understand he was an active scout in Indonesia , he accepted the Honorary President position in BSA, he did write a congratulatory letter for the Gala, and his electronic signature does appear on the new Eagle Scout certificates, so I would think he was very aware of the tradition of his office and scouting, which makes me wonder why he chose to snub this event in favor of the View, especially since he blew off the Feb Gala.

You know, I know this isn't intentional on his part, this inability to read average Americans. This is just another symptom of a profound lack of ability to empathise with a lot of American culture. I'm not sure why. He seems only to be interested in engaging if there's a political element. Too bad, because in this case the BSA was really worth much more than a letter. As you said, a great way to illustrate the importance of citizen-organizations and leadership.

Maybe this is just youth. Maybe he just hasn't had a deep enough life experience to really understand leadership. Maybe it relates to so many years apart from life in the US.

"... but IMO, his absence from the 100 year jamboree might have said more about his views on government v private works."

View PostI'm guessing its about votes. How many teenaged Boy Scouts are registered voters, compared to people watching the View? He went with the higher number of voters.

Did the President not attend the Boy Scouts Centennial so as not to alienate homosexual voters?

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?

View Post

Did the President not attend the Boy Scouts Centennial so as not to alienate homosexual voters?

that is what I am wondering - notwithstanding Dans comments, the trifector of no atheists, no gays and no females, is he trying to keep his ties to BSA at arms lengths.

And not just homosexual voters, but those sympathetic to their issues. It came as a suprise to me that a reasonably rational member here posted that he would not buy their plants and explained the connection to banning of gays to his kids, makes me wonder if the contraversial aspects of BSA moral code is enough for BO to keep a little distance without denouncing them.

hmmmmmm

looks like volunteerism is at odds with the unions, because that cuts into their payday.

"The (Morning) Call reports that Nick Balzano, president of the local Service Employees International Union, told Allentown City Council Tuesday that the union is considering filing a grievance against the city for allowing (Kevin) Anderson to do the work and earn his badge."

The SEIU claims that no one except union members may pick up a hoe or shovel, plant a flower or clear a walking path.

The "work" was Kevin Anderson who 200 hours clearing and laying a stone path around a gazebo in an Allentown Park as part of his Eagle Scout Project last year.

Seems there are a lot of issues the dems have with BSA.

Not only they don't like the moral code, it appears the community service projects are the union competition.