Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stryperStalker

hard wiring an outdoor spotlight

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Looking for some simple electrical advice. I got rid of the lamp post in our front yard. I want to use the wiring that fed the lamp post for a spot light to put at the base of our flagpole. The only high voltage landscaping spotlight they had at the store is one that is meant to be plugged in to an extension cord (3 prong).

Is it possible to just cut off the plug end of the spotlight and wire it directly to the line that runs from the house? The line is tied to a wall switch to turn it on/off.

I'm running a conduit to the flagpole, and will make sure the connection is water-tight.

why not mount a gfi outlet near the flag pole and plug the light into that?

that way you will also have an outlet out there if you need power for anything else.wink.gif

SS, can you draw out a scetch of what you want to do?

If you can show what wires go to what, and what color the wire conductors are at each end of each wire, we can tell you how to connect each wire so your idea will work.

Include in the drawing all that you see in the boxes inside the house where the switch is going to go.

If you are lucky there might be enough conductors to do some fancy stuff like a plug by the flagpole.

View PostTry a Solar power flood light.

Yeah, I thought about that, but the base of the flag pole is surrounded by some very high grass, so it would get little direct light.