Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rtb067

Yamaha crickets?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have a 92 yamaha 200 hp thats making a ticking sound( almost like a cricket) when I put it into gear. Its not that bad after the engine is warm but its still there. Any suggestions?

Since it makes the sound in gear (reverse too?) it is probably related to the drive shaft or the prop shaft. If it is the prop shaft, you will probably hear/feel the noise if you rotate the prop manually.

Simple things could be something wrapped around the prop shaft or perhaps a drive shaft bushing but I would expect drive shaft noises even out of gear.

If the noise is only in forward gear, check the alignment of the shift lever(cable adjustment).

After that, causes can get ugly.

View PostI will check those things. It makes the sound in reverse. I hope it is a quick fix.

If it makes the sound in reverse as well as forward, it's probably not the shift adjustment.

If the prop looks good ( you will need to pull it to be sure), you should drain the lower unit oil and take a look for metal filings...

It could come from different places , i had a similar noise and I found the water pump prop housing damage and a washer plate split in the lower case ,

no 48 and 13 ( no 13 has a small key and it got damage ) I suggest starting whit the water pump which is a god ideea to redo @ 2 years

" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PIYY...eature=related

I don't know about 92, but the newer Yammi 4 strokes had an issue with a chirping sound from the driveshaft, pretty common and doesn't do any harm but more of an annoyance.

The fix was a special grease, and it actually works.

But, I really don't think it goes back to 92.

View PostI don't know about 92, but the newer Yammi 4 strokes had an issue with a chirping sound from the driveshaft, pretty common and doesn't do any harm but more of an annoyance.

The pump runs all the time. That wouldn't explain chirping when in gear only.

The logial place to look are parts that move when in gear only. That includes the prop shaft, shaft bearings, some gears and seals and of course the prop.

Although the drive shaft bearing is turning all the time, it is under different loads when in gear. Same goes for diive shaft bushings. Of course if the shaft is moving sideways under load, a bearing is probably bad and adding side to side play. Same logic applies for a bent driveshaft. It may not make noise until loaded.

View PostI don't know about 92, but the newer Yammi 4 strokes had an issue with a chirping sound from the driveshaft, pretty common and doesn't do any harm but more of an annoyance.

what is the special grease? I hear a noise like this on my '04 F90 and it drives me crazy..

View Postwhat is the special grease? I hear a noise like this on my '04 F90 and it drives me crazy..

My '03 F225 use to make that sound. I spray a teflon based lubricant on the offending bearing once a year or every other - depends on if I hear it again or not.

View PostIt's best to replace the drive shaft bushing since you're in there and apply the grease. It's a yamaha grease tube - grease wr No2.

Pm me if you want more info on changing it.

View PostMy '03 F225 use to make that sound. I spray a teflon based lubricant on the offending bearing once a year or every other - depends on if I hear it again or not.

Thanks guys. is it merely an annoying noise, or is there something to be concerned w/?

It's just annoyance, no concern. The time to do is when you change the water pump impeller or take the lower unit off for any other reason.

Unless Wayne has a trick to spray it in there from the top w/o disassembly.

As an FYI, yams of that era were prone to wrist pin issues when overpropped. How many hours on her? If you're not turning at least 5100 wot, I'd look into it.

When we bought our 26 mako, we had 'the tick'. Beat the hell out of the seller over it, Dad and I made it a winter project, tore them both down before we had a catastrophic failure and replaced the pistons with forged ones. Replaced the main bearings while we were in there as well. Old pistons literally had oval shaped wrist pin holes at that point, we got another 1100 hours out them. Then we threw a rod, thank you ethanolmad.gif