Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surfratiam

Plug hook size

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

What are the considerations for hook size on a plug?

Is it what is the largest size that will not screw up a plugs action?

The smallest that the plug will have good action but will not "be so big that fish see the hooks and turn away"?

The top two pics are size 2/0

the bottom size 3/0

Is there really no difference to a fish 2/0 3/0 4/0 on the plug below?

For the sake of discussion "what the builder put on it" is not part of this discussion. Looking for any opinions (other than that one).

action and weight by trial and error, two danny's from the same maker might swim best with different hook combinations, i dun think hooks scare fish away, one more consideration is the size of the fish

View Post

Is it what is the largest size that will not screw up a plugs action?

Some times.smile.gif Depends on how you define "screw up".

Let me give an example.

SS Darter - going from 3/0 to 4/0 changes how it performs. Does it screw it up? Depends if digging deeper is good or bad for where your fishing and for the conditions.

OK, but how about the size of the fish you are fishing for. I had one shop owner tell me that I need to stop using 4/0 VMCs on the plugs I build because they will straighten on the fish at Montauk. He suggested using 5/0 and up. Of course, this would apply to plugs that are larger, not a needlefish or small popper. Any truth to what he told me?

View PostOK, but how about the size of the fish you are fishing for. I had one shop owner tell me that I need to stop using 4/0 VMCs on the plugs I build because they will straighten on the fish at Montauk. He suggested using 5/0 and up. Of course, this would apply to plugs that are larger, not a needlefish or small popper. Any truth to what he told me?

I think it has more to do with tighter drags in the boulder fields. I would think going to the 6X gladiator VMC's is a better choice if you are worried about hooks getting straightened.

Does it ever become an issue with big hooks dangling from a split ring? Does it increase the chance of setting a hook? When hooked a big hook on a split ring would increase the landing percentage over a smaller hook without a split ring. Bass don't see hooks?