Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
farley

LBI beach closure

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys/gals, I have a question about LBI. I was there in the spring and noticed that the southern part of the island beach was closed off with all kinds of signs, I guess plovers? I will be heading down the 1st week in September for some fishing and wanted to know if this area is still closed off.

thanks, farley

Nesting Season - April 1 through August 31:

Holgate is closed to all public use, including boat landings, during this season. This helps to ensure that endangered piping plovers have high-quality, undisturbed nesting habitat. Spring and summer beach public use would interfere with refuge objectives, and with the refuge's established purposes. These dates may be adjusted based on actual use by beach-nesting birds. The southern tip of Holgate may be closed beyond September 1, to protect late-nesting black skimmers.

Non-Nesting Season - September 1 through March 31:

The beach front is open to pedestrians and four-wheel-drive vehicles for such wildlife-oriented activities as wildlife observation, photography, nature study, and fishing. Bayside mudflats may remain closed until later September to protect migrating shorebirds. (Drivers must possess a valid Long Beach Township beach buggy permit for the vehicle they are driving.) It is recommended that vehicles use the intertidal zone when possible. Its harder packed sands provide better traction than the loose sands of the beach. Occasionally some areas of Holgate's beach may not be accessible to vehicles due to ongoing, naturally occurring variations in beach width, or because of excessively high tides. Drivers must use caution, and not enter closed areas.

Thanks NS, I googled it but couldn't find anything, where did you find this? I assume you need a permit for beach driving in LBI?

thanks, farley

View PostNesting Season - April 1 through August 31:

Holgate is closed to all public use, including boat landings, during this season. This helps to ensure that endangered piping plovers have high-quality, undisturbed nesting habitat. Spring and summer beach public use would interfere with refuge objectives, and with the refuge's established purposes. These dates may be adjusted based on actual use by beach-nesting birds. The southern tip of Holgate may be closed beyond September 1, to protect late-nesting black skimmers.

Non-Nesting Season - September 1 through March 31:

The beach front is open to pedestrians and four-wheel-drive vehicles for such wildlife-oriented activities as wildlife observation, photography, nature study, and fishing. Bayside mudflats may remain closed until later September to protect migrating shorebirds. (Drivers must possess a valid Long Beach Township beach buggy permit for the vehicle they are driving.) It is recommended that vehicles use the intertidal zone when possible. Its harder packed sands provide better traction than the loose sands of the beach. Occasionally some areas of Holgate's beach may not be accessible to vehicles due to ongoing, naturally occurring variations in beach width, or because of excessively high tides. Drivers must use caution, and not enter closed areas.

View Postdid a little more searching and it looks like you don't need a permit to drive on the beach there. Thanks for the info

That is not true. You need the Long Beach Township permit to drive on the beach on Holgate. It is closed to all (pedestrians and 4X4's) for the breading season from approximately May to September. The permit costs $50.

View PostThat is not true. You need the Long Beach Township permit to drive on the beach on Holgate. It is closed to all (pedestrians and 4X4's) for the breading season from approximately May to September. The permit costs $50.

oh, didn't see that while searching, town hall or police station is where I can purchase them I assume?

thanks

Yup, the Police station is the place. It's around 68 Street. Be very careful driving down there. A lot of beach erosion, and you only have a couple of hours around low tide to make the run out to the end, and that is weather permitting.

View PostYup, the Police station is the place. It's around 68 Street. Be very careful driving down there. A lot of beach erosion, and you only have a couple of hours around low tide to make the run out to the end, and that is weather permitting.

Great, thanks for the info Matt

Beach Buggy permits may only be purchased at the Police Department. They are available 24hrs a day/7 days a week. Permits can only be purchased with an in-state check (NJ) or money order. The fee is $50.00 and is good for the calendar year, expiring December 31st. You will be required to present a valid drivers license, vehicle registration and insurance card.

so if you plan to get the pass there is a post office a few blocks south of the PD.

Also here is the number for south shore towing and recovery 609-597-9964 it is good to have that handy in case you get stuck ask me know i know...

Thanks for the info, I have driven on the beach in OBX/IBSP/Brigantine but this stretch of beach that is drivable seems pretty narrow. Is the area usually crowded? I'll be heading down 1st week of September for a long weekend so hopefully some of the summer crowds will be gone/back in school.

thanks, farley

View PostBeach Buggy permits may only be purchased at the Police Department. They are available 24hrs a day/7 days a week. Permits can only be purchased with an in-state check (NJ) or money order. The fee is $50.00 and is good for the calendar year, expiring December 31st. You will be required to present a valid drivers license, vehicle registration and insurance card.

so if you plan to get the pass there is a post office a few blocks south of the PD.

Also here is the number for south shore towing and recovery 609-597-9964 it is good to have that handy in case you get stuck ask me know i know...