Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
formula1

BFT still out too deep for consistent fly action

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

We were out yesterday 70 miles or so...lots of action, skipjacks and bluefin tuna, and a dorado as well. The bluefin were too deep for a fly (all were caught jigging 150 ft of water except for a lucky one that was about 30 ft below the boat). Kept 1, released the other 3. Got skipjack on fly but really, really difficult to move the fly fast enough to interest them - saw a lot of follows then refusals. Even a fast 2 handed retrieve was mostly useless. Can't wait till they're closer inshore and busting bait on the surface...maybe I'll have a shot at matching my buddy's 200# BFT last year...except on a fly rod smile.gif.

Here is a little one, released to fight another day...

View PostNot sure why that couldn't be the east coast...

#1. No land structure like that where the tuna (especially what looks like yellowfin) would come that close to land on East Coast.

#2. No Registration #'s on the boats

View PostCT you realize there are two sets of photos, F1's seems local, the second set are from Panama, just right click on the photo and hit properties

Yeah, I was talking about Ron's photo's...he wrote "No Problems HERE" and I was curious as to where "HERE" was...never thought about the properties thing.

Yeah, those pictures definitely aren't off the Jersey coast, at least not this time of year. They had some top water action like that in the fall last year but this year it's still too early.

View Post#1. No land structure like that where the tuna (especially what looks like yellowfin) would come that close to land on East Coast.

#2. No Registration #'s on the boats

ok yea no YF so close to land in numbers, you're right there.

I thought you were saying we wouldn't have a tuna blitz like that