Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gmofftarki

The Price of Chickens

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

So... people are worried about all of the unemployed folks starving to death in the streets.

Well... 10% of the potential workforce is unemployed. Let's say that each of them is responsible for 1.5 other individuals, so we'll say that there's 87.5 million people who have no effective income at present.

Now- let's look at the price of a chicken. Retail, it comes out to about 6.00 for a decently sized uncooked chicken. Then, toss on another 75 cents for some rice or other such to fill out the meal.

That will keep 2.5 people from "starving" for a day. It might not be entirely optimal based on 8 months visiting weekly with a dietician$, but that's hardly the point here.

$6.75 * 87.5 million comes out to 590 million dollars per day. If we wanted to stretch things, we could say something along the lines of "Well, one chicken and that rice could be stretched to 2 days" but that's hardly the point either.

All told, giving every unemployed family one chicken per day per person would cost 215 billion dollars per annum.

Giving just the "unemployed/principal earner/whatever" the one chicken would be less than 100B per annum.

So tell me- why are we, in the name of these poor starving masses, spending hundreds of billions going into trillions of dollars on barriers to job creation and industrial growth?

It just doesn't make sense?

View PostNobody said buying Votes was cheap.........beers.gif

Buying votes with borrowed stimulus money is expensive:

From the MercuryNews :

"San Jose: 'Frightening' record turnout for free school backpack sign-up

Posted: 07/28/2010

They waited for hours, eventually lining up around the block from the Sacred Heart Community Center to register their children to receive a free backpack for school.

So many parents turned out that organizers began turning people away after signing up a record 1,648 students for the annual "Pack-A-Back" program.

When the first organizers arrived at 7:30 a.m. at the First Street facility in San Jose, they found a pair of mothers who told them they had arrived a couple of hours after midnight.

Organizers had expected a big crowd given the economy. They brought in an extra 110 to 120 volunteers to supplement the normal group of up to 200 volunteers to help with the registration. But the turnout taxed even the increased volunteer force.

"This is not only unprecedented, but frightening, to see that level of need," Sacred Heart Executive Director Poncho Guevara said.

The makeup of the crowd, too, was far from familiar. Guevara estimated about 25 percent of those seeking registrations were new not only to the drive, but to his organization entirely, indicating that they faced a new level of economic pressure.

One first-timer was Danielle Stitts, a 41-year-old South San Jose mother who registered for backpacks for her son, 17, and daughter, 9. She said that this year marked the first time she found herself forced to reach out for assistance from the group. "Sacred Heart has been there a while, but I was too embarrassed to go in," Stitts said. "The tough times never really got to me until now."

She added that the backpacks will allow her some breathing room to provide for her children. "I can spend a little bit more on clothes, and on school supplies, throughout the year."

Registered children are set to receive their backpacks Aug. 13. Organizers fill the donated backpacks with school supplies and include a $20 gift certificate for footwear, putting the cost of each bag at approximately $60-$80. Backpacks are also tailored to different grade levels, including graphing calculators and USB drives for older students.

Guevara said that, as of Wednesday, organizers had prepared only 500 backpacks and need more donations of money and backpacks to meet their remaining commitments.

San Jose City Council members Madison Nguyen and Sam Liccardo were also in attendance. Commenting on the assembled crowd, Nguyen said she believed families were forced to cut back on perceived amenities when they were struggling to pay for more pressing needs.

"This is just extraordinary," Nguyen said. "We live in one of the most thriving counties in the state, but you look at all these families "... people definitely are spending less on basic necessities, and that's one of the reasons why it brought so many families out here today."

Sacred Heart, which focuses on providing essential services and outreach, is part of a broader constellation of outreach efforts by county, city and local organizations. The drive comes two days after the announcement from the County of Santa Clara Social Services Agency that they will be using $5.35 million in federal stimulus funds to create a summer nutrition program.

Members of the agency hope to feed 4,000 low-income children during the summer, in which they lack access to school lunches, and also provide camp and educational programs.

During the school year, 95,000 of 260,000 students in Santa Clara County are eligible for a free and reduced lunch program, according to the Santa Clara County Office of Education."

Are those the free range chickens? You can't give those poor, under privileged folks chickens all shot up with hormones and antibiotics. Only the best for our citizens in need. Think of the children you cold hearted bastages.

View PostWhy should I be forced to give anyone a chicken, no matter what the cost?

Steve- I'd rather pay to give someone a chicken than pay for the government to keep companies from hiring me. That was my basic point here.

View PostSteve- I'd rather pay to give someone a chicken than pay for the government to keep companies from hiring me. That was my basic point here.

Understand that.......so why don't we eliminate both? If that were the case, I more than likely would be quite happy to give a family a chicken every now and again.....wink.gif

Of course, an example like this also serves to highlight the difference between "Million" "Billion" and "Trillion", which many people tend to mentally categorize as "A lot of money" without properly comprehending, for example, that a trillion is one million millions.

Too much "psych out the Average Joe" math going on in Washington.

"OK, well, we're looking at 3.6 trillion dollars spread over 5 years which comes out to 720 billion per year. That's nothing, right?"

headscratch.gifcwm31.gif

View PostWhy should I be forced to give anyone a chicken, no matter what the cost?

It's the right thing to do.

(And who better than YOU to provide a chicken; you can prepare a delicious one for just a few of those deserving children.)

It takes a village to raise a child.

View PostIt's the right thing to do.

(And who better than YOU to provide a chicken; you can prepare a delicious one for just a few of those deserving children.)

It takes a village to raise a child.

It is the right thing to do if I do it of my own accord. smile.gif

It is the WRONG thing to do on the part of the people that would force me to do it. mad.gif

There is a world of difference there....

View PostUnderstand that.......so why don't we eliminate both? If that were the case, I more than likely would be quite happy to give a family a chicken every now and again.....wink.gif

Hmmm, then people might have to take employment they'd rather not have cwm40.gifcwm40.gifcwm40.gif I think we're on to something here wink.gif

without some help sometimes, there would be a lot of people starving in the streets

i was out of work for six months in 2006, and were it not for unemployment insurance (half of with went to pay my COBRA premium), i would have been in deep, deep trouble- luckily my wife had just started a much better job than her previous one, so we got by okay

the same would not have been true if i were single, or my wife was raising a kid instead of working

granted, there will always be a small gtroup who try to game the system, and like the poor, will always be with us

as a society we should act to alleviate acute human suffering

unfortunately, there will be chronic cases of abuse, which need to be dealt with accordingly

and i think we are too generous with paying SSI to disabled and elderly legal immigrants-

i don't know what the numbers are, but why should a 74 year old ukranian woman who comes to live with her naturalized son be eligible for $641 a month without ever having paid a nickel in taxes?

remember that SSI is federal welfare administered by the social security administration- it is not giving our social security contributions to foreigners

but even at that, it sometimes leaves me scratching my head

View PostSo... people are worried about all of the unemployed folks starving to death in the streets.

Well... 10% of the potential workforce is unemployed. Let's say that each of them is responsible for 1.5 other individuals, so we'll say that there's 87.5 million people who have no effective income at present.

Now- let's look at the price of a chicken. Retail, it comes out to about 6.00 for a decently sized uncooked chicken. Then, toss on another 75 cents for some rice or other such to fill out the meal.

That will keep 2.5 people from "starving" for a day. It might not be entirely optimal based on 8 months visiting weekly with a dietician$, but that's hardly the point here.

$6.75 * 87.5 million comes out to 590 million dollars per day. If we wanted to stretch things, we could say something along the lines of "Well, one chicken and that rice could be stretched to 2 days" but that's hardly the point either.

All told, giving every unemployed family one chicken per day per person would cost 215 billion dollars per annum.

Giving just the "unemployed/principal earner/whatever" the one chicken would be less than 100B per annum.

So tell me- why are we, in the name of these poor starving masses, spending hundreds of billions going into trillions of dollars on barriers to job creation and industrial growth?

It just doesn't make sense?

Why don't you explain these trillions spent barriers to job creation and industrial gorwth a bit more?

View Postwithout some help sometimes, there would be a lot of people starving in the streets

I don't deny that DB, but I think you might be missing my point. Why should the cost of that "help" (whether it be deserving or not) be forced upon people?

Let me give a brief example, even if it does use an example that is overseas, but it also pertains to situations here at "home". Earthquake in Haiti.....when it happened, there were privately run relief drives everywhere you went, raising money to help those people.

And every time I saw one, I refused to participate. Why? Not because I don't have sympathy or compassion.

My reason for refusing was the the US Government, using taxpayer dollars (face it, the government ONLY gets money from taxpayers) sent I don't know how many billions of dollars in aid.

So my attitude was whether or not THAT was my "charity" of choice, I had already forcibly "donated" my portion thru my tax bill, and eff them for any more. Multiply that by the sixteen zillion "charity cases" (including unemployment SS, food stamps, and on and on and on) that our taxes go for, and well, ya see what you get..........