Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjdbike

What causes weeds?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I don't fish a lot but when I do its mostly for the land & @ IBSP. I'm interested in what conditions causes the surf, inlet & bay at IBSP to be weedy. It doesen't happen a lot, sometimes its not that much of an issue but sometimes it can make it unfishable.

My question is, what wind, tide, weather conditions cause this (i.e., weedy surf, inlet & bay)?

Thanks!

JD

View Postmy 2 cents

boat traffic

moon tides

rain-storms

easterly wind

Yes, I've read that moon tides (new and full moons when we have higher highs and lower lows) the high water floods usually unflooded areas and lifts weeds and other debris. When the tide goes out it carries all that stuff with it.

Also, during easterly winds, say during a nor'easter, water pushes into new areas and does the same thing. You hear them on the news and stuff called "storm tides or storm surge." Heavy surf rips weed and mussels and stuff off rocks and into the water. For example, Ulva (Sea Lettuce) that is common around here starts out stalked and attached to rocks and breaks free into the water during swells. Onshore wind and surf I would imagine breaks off more and sends it into the surf to collect on our barrel swivels and hooks smile.gif

If its so bad that it renders a spot unfishable 9 times out of 10 it was a dragger dumping its nets. You can easily confirm this if after the weeds clear all of the fluke in the area are about 13" - Or if you're out there as much as I am, you'll see the draggers out there.

View Post ... Ulva (Sea Lettuce) that is common around here starts out stalked and attached to rocks and breaks free into the water during swells...

Just Googled this Ulva and found the following interesting description:

Ulva
species can be eaten in soups and salads, and used as a substitute for nori (
), the popular seaweed in sushi.

Hmmm ... I will try to keep a little bit of them next time when I pull up the "lettuce" during the castings ... make some lemonade out of the lemons ...

I think moon tides pick up a lot of crap above the high tide line in the bays and pushes that crap out into the water.

Out front a pounding surf + rocks piles will equal seaweed and mussel crap galore.

John

was out today and there was lotsa lettuce. it hit me that the heat wave, intense sun, and high water temps in early July probably resulted in a lot of sea lettuce growth. I may be wrong, but it makes sense.

View PostI don't fish a lot but when I do its mostly for the land & @ IBSP. I'm interested in what conditions causes the surf, inlet & bay at IBSP to be weedy. It doesen't happen a lot, sometimes its not that much of an issue but sometimes it can make it unfishable.

My question is, what wind, tide, weather conditions cause this (i.e., weedy surf, inlet & bay)?

Thanks!

JD

Barnegat inlet spits out weeds more frquently than you know/experience... probably b/c you're mainly fishing ISBP... which from my experience, ISBP has a lot less weeding depending on the season, than the southern surf.... try fishing the Barnegat surf.... sometimes i just give up and pack it in......

The weeds can be a real nuisance. I've brought in my line and found a collection of weeds that looks like a full hula skirt. But what's worse than weeds ? Salps. Once they get on your line, and bunch up, I just cut the line, drag it in, throw them in the garbage and head back to the house to get my golf clubs.

We also seem to get alot of the sea lettuce after a few days of south wind and we get cooler water from an upwelling like yesterday and today in the SFZ, water was cooler and there was plenty of weed.