Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cornbread

Popper Jigs & Fixtures

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Since I've never made large plugs before I had to make some new jigs&fixtures to complete the six popper plugs I'm doing for the chat challenge. Thought I would share for possible benefit to other noobs. I made the vise and sled from mahogany blocks I picked out of the trash at a local millwork shop and lined the cutouts with cork. THX CB

Thanks CB!! Those are great pics! I love the sled idea. That would help me out a lot on popper and pencils!

My benchtop press isn't tall enough to do the popper and pencil faces. I was thinking about maybe buying some tubing to lengthen it. Not sure if I can do that?

The cork is a wonderful idea. clapping.gif

Betweens last night and this, my head is gonna explode from all the new info, lol.

Just trying to pay back a little for the "lot" I have learned from you guys on this site. Hope it helps get the wheels turning for someone to help them advance their work. THX - CB

Great post. I love ingenuity. I too like the cork in the v vise. I may try that. I've got rolls of that stuff I've been trying to use up.

The rare earth magnets are also a good idea and have got my wheels spinning. I'm always trying to clamp stuff to my drill press but the clamps get in the way. A good strong magnet would solve some of those issues.

View PostGreat post. I love ingenuity. I too like the cork in the v vise. I may try that. I've got rolls of that stuff I've been trying to use up.

The rare earth magnets are also a good idea and have got my wheels spinning. I'm always trying to clamp stuff to my drill press but the clamps get in the way. A good strong magnet would solve some of those issues.

Thanks Eric - It works best for me if I inset the magnets so they are flush with the bottom of the jig then epoxy them in place. The best source of high quality reasonably priced magnets I have found (I use a lot of magnets) is KJ Magnetics - nice web site. THX CB

View PostThanks CB!! Those are great pics! I love the sled idea. That would help me out a lot on popper and pencils!

My benchtop press isn't tall enough to do the popper and pencil faces. I was thinking about maybe buying some tubing to lengthen it. Not sure if I can do that?

The cork is a wonderful idea. clapping.gif

Betweens last night and this, my head is gonna explode from all the new info, lol.

He Mokes, look on the sides of the head of your press. Not sure what you use but some have a hex head in them. Loosen it and then swivel the head around away from your base plate. I do this to do my through-drilling so I can drill 12" blocks with a 10" press.

Hey Cornbread,

Great post and some great tips. Thanks!!

View PostHe Mokes, look on the sides of the head of your press. Not sure what you use but some have a hex head in them. Loosen it and then swivel the head around away from your base plate. I do this to do my through-drilling so I can drill 12" blocks with a 10" press.

Mokes, before you do this, check how level and plumb your bench is and the drill press. Try and get the DP 90 degrees to the bench before you move it around. This is a really good idea too. Thanks scrapper