Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
botch

706z question??

12 posts in this topic

Just got a brand new 706 z with all the trimmings in box.It came with an extra spool in a box marked Penn on a pink tag [no.47-706] metal spool.But it is BLACK! Is that typical: headscratch.gif ? do i have to have it gold anodized? LOL!

706s had black spools from the time of the changeover from the greenies to the Zs, up until the time when they were first discontinued in the late 1980s. They were re-introduced in the early 1990s with the gold machined spools, and a third bearing, which replaced the bushing that supported the handle drive in the originals and the 704s.

View Postif thats the case why do i have one with a gold spool and a pancake handle

Because the earlier generation 706Z's came with the black spool and the torpedo handle. The newer ones came with coffee grinder handle and gold spool.

View PostBecause the earlier generation 706Z's came with the black spool and the torpedo handle. The newer ones came with coffee grinder handle and gold spool.

just went back and saw this post.Question????? mine came brand new in the box with a gold spool on it and an extra black spool in the penn spool box.BUT I was dissapointed that it had the torpedo so i grabbed a new pancake to put in the box.Should i leave the torpedo on it or does it not matter?? Thanks

View PostI prefer the torpedo handle, because in my experience, the pancake one spins easier when you cast, unless it's set just right.

so do i .

i find the pancake loosens up and even comes off , after hard use that is .