Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jrhopkins

irridesant plugs?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Awesome!!

I was recently reading an article about a fly-fisherman from finland who started killing the fish at night, because he started using flies that glow in the dark.

How long do you need light on it to get it to glow for a half-hour? Where did you get the paint?

Thanks!

have had the idea for quite a while. i figured the easier it was for fish to see a lure the better the chance of striking it. especially in dark water conditions.

some of the steelhead fishermen around here use lighted plugs with good success. i think these plugs use a small light and battery in the plug. not really sure about them.

the phosphoresant material is a powder ( not paint ) .

check this site and read about phosphoresant materials.

http://www.glonation.com/glow-powder.html

i sprayed the bait with a polyurathane to get the powder to stick and after it cured i coated with about 4 coats ( spray can poly ) to lock the powder in.

the heavier the powder coat the longer the glow will last. you can do multiple applications to get more powder on the bait. it will rub off if you don't put a topcoat on it. i tried epoxy like i do on my other lures and found that the glow was not as bright. 4-5 coats of spray polyurathane seemed to give better results.

any light source is good to get the glow. sunlight is best but a flashlight or camera flash will work too. the bait in the photo was exposed to sunlight fo approx. 10 seconds and glowed well for about 1/2 hour and was still visable after 1 hour.

i don't pour my own plastics but i would guess you could mix the powder with the plastic and pour some cool worms, etc. this might be a good winter project to try .

Thanks for the info!

Eventually, a surface swimmer with some of this stuff can't be a bad idea. Even if its on just the sides, so that it stands out a bit more in the darkness.

Hows that bait swim???

View PostThanks for the info!

Eventually, a surface swimmer with some of this stuff can't be a bad idea. Even if its on just the sides, so that it stands out a bit more in the darkness.

Hows that bait swim???

going to try to get some video of it this evening weather permitting.

already have a surface plug on the workbench.cwm40.gif