Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
InshoreFisherman24

Magging a conventional non levelwind reel

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I have a daiwa saltist lever drag 2sp reel and have been looking to mag it. I was just wondering as to how I could do it. I know its possible because I have seen and heard about people who do it. Since the reel will freespool forever, when I cast it I need to thumb the heck out of it especially when using heavier weights. Id like to know as to which magnets I would need since the spool is aluminum or if there is any other way I could use some kind of "casting breaks" to slow down the spool a little when I cast to avoid over runs. Any help would be appreciated.

Glue a 1/4" washer inside the left side end plate . For heavy braking use a 1/2X3/16" neo magnet , less braking use a 3/8x3/16" .

I use a heavily breaked LD20 for fishing braid and it will still cast 500' ,and I do mean heavily braked . If you fish mono you don't typically need the full heavy brake . Get a variety of magnet sizes and see whay suits your casting style and line diameter.

Casting conventional without centrifugal brakes or a mag will keep you honest.Without the above, spool tension adjustments and thumbs are the brakes.I've never held that reel so I'll be basic.Remove the non handle side plate,and determine the space between the spool end and the side plate.For a non adjustable mag 1/8" or so, and probably 3/16" min. for a adjustable mag.Because its 2 speed,and well made, magging may not be a option.There are many magging posts, and threads in the search function.

View Posthttp://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...hlight=magging

There are similar post besides this one... but here are the basics.

That is the exact post I was looking at earlier, and found it so helpful that I went ahead and ordered the rare earth magnet, cup and washer set from leevalley.com. Seems so basic and easy, and they were cheap so Ill go ahead and give that method a try to see how it works.

once ya see how easy the magging is, ya get kinda crazy and wanna mag every reel ya got biggrin.gif

squidder magged ...

fpenn3.jpg

sx magged ...

av3.jpg

mxl magged ... ( complete how-to HERE )

mxl17.jpg

New guy here. I recently got back from Va. Beach where my brother in law just moved to. He's been doing some surf fishing lately and I got inspired and dug out my old Jigmaster. Remembering having some nasty birdsnests the last time I used it, I've been doing some searching and have decided to mag it to see if that helps. 

I've searched these forums and I understand the process but what I don't understand is, if my reel has an aluminum spool, which is a non ferrous metal, how do the magnets work to slow it down?

Thanks in advance. I've run across a lot of good info here and now have this site bookmarked.

New guy here. I recently got back from Va. Beach where my brother in law just moved to. He's been doing some surf fishing lately and I got inspired and dug out my old Jigmaster. Remembering having some nasty birdsnests the last time I used it, I've been doing some searching and have decided to mag it to see if that helps. 

I've searched these forums and I understand the process but what I don't understand is, if my reel has an aluminum spool, which is a non ferrous metal, how do the magnets work to slow it down?

Thanks in advance. I've run across a lot of good info here and now have this site bookmarked.

It's magic! :) Naw; it's caused by eddy currents caused by the magnetic fields setup by the magnets. C2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie2 View Post

It's magic! smile.gif Naw; it's caused by eddy currents caused by the magnetic fields setup by the magnets. C2

Thanks Charlie. After doing some searching on line yesterday, I was able to find an answer. Although you were a lot shorter in the explanation it pretty much sums it up. I was also able to find the magnets i need at the local Radio Shack.

Once you have it working the way you like, paint the magnet with Sally Hanson clear fingernail polish. otherwise the magnet will corrode quickly in a salt air environment.

..........or you can use any color you can steal from your wife. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bgriff View Post

I have magged all of my Squidders(5 of them) and also my Jigmasters - the 501 works best magged with a half crescent shaped magnet I busted out of an old computer hard drive. I have a pic of it somewhere here on the site, I;ll look for the pic...

Once you have it working the way you like, paint the magnet with Sally Hanson clear fingernail polish. otherwise the magnet will corrode quickly in a salt air environment.

..........or you can use any color you can steal from your wife. :D

A good tip!

Another is to use a good grade of epoxy. I bought a magged Squidder that obviously hadn't, and it came unglued one dark night while fishing on the bridge. It sounded like every gear in the old reel had come loose. Very disconcerting; to put it mildly .:mad:

I took the reel apart the next morning and was relieved. I went right then to the hardware store and bought some good, fresh two part epoxy. I used copious amounts under the cups and now am happy! :) C2