Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anguillaman2

Daiwa Emblem Pro 5500

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Popular long distance spinning reel,not the most solidly built IMO but great for the money spent.The new ones look good,the spools are not as wide and the gear ratio went down but still looks like it will be a solid reel.There are a few guys lined up to purchase them and it will be interesting to get some field reports.

comes with two spools, casts far and has a fast retreive which make it very good for jigging in inlets with fast water. It is pretty flimsy and would probably only last a couple of years under heavy use.

The problem i've had is a bit of wobble in the shaft as the spool oscillates, if you set the hook or try to free a snag when the spool is all the way up you can definitely bend the shaft. Not a big deal just feels sloppy.

it's a good value for the price tag and it fills a niche without having to buy a super expensive reel like a stella or saltiga. If you buy one of those you shouldn't have to replace it every couple of years though.

You'll see more of these reels on the canal than any other. Distance is imperative, and these reels deliver. icon14.gif

After 45 years of throwing nothing but conventionals, I made the switch to spinning (an Empro 5500) and could not be happier. clapping.gif Excellent drag.

But you need to undersatnd going in, that if you use this reel exclusively for heavy jigging, it's likely a 3 year reel. But, it only costs $150 with 2 spools.

I got 4 full seasons out of both of mine, using the primarily for plugging, but for occasional jigging. When I got my 2-6 rated Mojo in the spring, I started using them for everything. The older one died--gears started binding. The other one is still hanging on, but there's a lot of slop that you can feel. I let Bob try mine to throw a plug that I was using one morning--and he got a fish on the test cast on it cwm27.gif--and he could definitely feel the looseness in the gear train, compared to his 3 month old one.

View PostI got 4 full seasons out of both of mine, using the primarily for plugging, but for occasional jigging. When I got my 2-6 rated Mojo in the spring, I started using them for everything. The older one died--gears started binding. The other one is still hanging on, but there's a lot of slop that you can feel. I let Bob try mine to throw a plug that I was using one morning--and he got a fish on the test cast on it cwm27.gif--and he could definitely feel the looseness in the gear train, compared to his 3 month old one.

Hmm 4 seasons, so that's roughly 500 nights and 2500 fish + or - for you I'd guess.wink.gif Not bad for a 150$ reel.

Did you ever pop the cover and lube up the drive train, or for 150$ do you run em until they drop? Aluminum HATES to run dry, it will just destroy itself. No margin for error like Brass or stainless.

Its unfortunate that it gets sloppy after awhile.I paid $140.00 for my 5600 liveliner when they came out and its still solid although i just replaced the main,pinion, and oscillation crosswind gear.Its the third time i replaced the main since i bought it.It has been through hell and back and many of Penns recent model reels(not all) dont have quality internals, but when replaced the reel is still solid and dependable.If Penn can make a reel that last more than a few seasons For a $145.00 price tag why not Daiwa, maybe the new one will fare better.

View PostIts unfortunate that it gets sloppy after awhile.I paid $140.00 for my 5600 liveliner when they came out and its still solid although i just replaced the main,pinion, and oscillation crosswind gear.Its the third time i replaced the main since i bought it.It has been through hell and back and many of Penns recent model reels(not all) dont have quality internals, but when replaced the reel is still solid and dependable.If Penn can make a reel that last more than a few seasons For a $145.00 price tag why not Daiwa, maybe the new one will fare better.

Just curious, did the gears on your 5600 fail or did you change them as preventive maintenance.

I have 2 560's and I have been TRYING to blow up the gears and I can't do it, even at the Canal with the drag cranked as tight as I dare.

Figured if I blew it up I'd have an excuse to buy a better reel. Finally said screw it and bought a Stella anyway. Now it sits on my bench in retirement but spooled and ready to fish.....it won.

View PostJust curious, did the gears on your 5600 fail or did you change them as preventive maintenance.

I have 2 560's and I have been TRYING to blow up the gears and I can't do it, even at the Canal with the drag cranked as tight as I dare.

Figured if I blew it up I'd have an excuse to buy a better reel. Finally said screw it and bought a Stella anyway. Now it sits on my bench in retirement but spooled and ready to fish.....it won.

No,the gears never completely failed.You can just tell by using the reel that its time to change them out.

View Post

it's a good value for the price tag and it fills a niche without having to buy a super expensive reel like a stella or saltiga.

That's basically how I view the reel, a niche reel that offers extremely fast retrieve speed; very nice to have when needed. That high speed, however puts greater strain and wear on internals. I never considered it a heavy duty or even general purpose spinner. If the new model has a narrower spool and slower ratio it will be slower, possibly more reliable but it will no longer be that same niche reel.

View PostYou'll see more of these reels on the canal than any other. Distance is imperative, and these reels deliver. icon14.gif

After 45 years of throwing nothing but conventionals, I made the switch to spinning (an Empro 5500) and could not be happier. clapping.gif Excellent drag.

But you need to undersatnd going in, that if you use this reel exclusively for heavy jigging, it's likely a 3 year reel. But, it only costs $150 with 2 spools.

I'm curious why so many are used at the canal. I've never fished there but from what I've read, it's conditions are demanding and tough on tackle. If distance is most important for plugging or jigging, there are better choices in large spinners. If you guys are using mono instead of braid then the Em Pro would make more sense with it's wide spool.

The reason emblems are so popular at the canal is the casting distance and the retrieve rate. There is nothing more frustrating than the fish breaking just out of casting range, the emblem gives a bit more of a chance when they are way out there. A lot of times fish are breaking towards the middle of the canal. So if you bomb out a cast and dont hook up you want that lure back to you and back out there as fast as possible, thats where the retrieve comes in handy.

I dont know of many reels that are better for distance than the emblem pro, im sure they are out there but not many for less than 150.00 bucks. I dont know of anyone that uses mono on an emblem. For that matter i dont know of anyone using mono at the canal anymore, im sure some do.