Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
woowoo2

Shotgun question

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

I am going to purchase a shotgun for home defense.

This gun will not be used for hunting.

It is going to sit in the closet with a trigger lock on it.

I have narrowed down my choices to two.

The Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870.

It would be 12Ga. with an 18 inch barrel.

I don't need pistol grips, 3 1/2" loads, or fancy engraving.

Does anyone have a recommendation on either one?

Is there another manufacturer that I should consider?

I am going to try to find a used one locally, If I cant one in good shape, I will buy new.

(Please no .410 talk cwm27.gif)

Personally, I have handled both and I felt like the 870 was constructed a lot better. Both guns are good though for what you want. Both are tried and true shotties.

I would get the 870. It's cheap, reliable and versatile.

View PostI am going to purchase a shotgun for home defense.

This gun will not be used for hunting.

It is going to sit in the closet with a trigger lock on it.

I have narrowed down my choices to two.

The Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870.

It would be 12Ga. with an 18 inch barrel.

I don't need pistol grips, 3 1/2" loads, or fancy engraving.

Does anyone have a recommendation on either one?

Is there another manufacturer that I should consider?

I am going to try to find a used one locally, If I cant one in good shape, I will buy new.

(Please no .410 talk cwm27.gif)

Look at the Mossberg 590.I've had mine since I was 17,im 38 now.It has never let me down,after tens of thousands of rounds.

Although Mossberg quality has improved over the years, I most definitley would suggest the Remingtion 870 HD model. The Express model is a great bang for the buck as well. If not on a budget, the Wingmaster with a deer barrel is an option.

View PostPersonally, I have handled both and I felt like the 870 was constructed a lot better. Both guns are good though for what you want. Both are tried and true shotties.

I would get the 870. It's cheap, reliable and versatile.

I had a Mossy 500 w/ 18 1/2" and 28" barrels.

It never failed.

Would I buy another 500?

Yes.

The USMC uses Mossy 500s.

I agree w/ Mokes that the 870 is a better gun than the 500.

I'd read up on the H&R Pardner Pump Protector:

Pardner® Pump Protector - Carbon Fiber Dip

Our home-defense model rigged with an 18 ½" cylinder bore barrel for quick maneuvering in tight quarters. Offered in a high-tech look of our new black synthetic stock dipped in a carbon-fiber pattern. It has a grooved fore-end with sling swivel studs installed. Comes in 12 gauge with a 2 3/4" and 3" chamber.

photo_NP1_PCF.jpg

btn_enlarge.gif

ModelPardner® Pump Protector Carbon Fiber DipAmmo12 GaugeStockSynthetic with carbon fiber pattern (NP1-PCF), Black synthetic (NP1-P18) Barrel18 1/2"ChamberUp to 3"SightsBead front; drilled and tapped for scope baseChokeCylinderLength37 5/8"Length of Pull14 1/4"Drop at Comb1 1/2"Drop at Heel2 1/2"Weight7 1/2 lbs.

I shot both of the myself while in the navy.

That's why I picked them.

I figure the wife could handle a 12Ga. with the 2 3/4 loads.

(And a recoil pad)

As has been said the Rem. is the better gun.However for what you are going to do with it either would work ok.

Since your wife may be using it,I would look at which safety is easier for her to operate in an adrenalinized condition.

Vang Comp makes oversize safeties for both guns.

I would get a youth model for the shorter LOP on the stock, make it easier to handle for the wife.

The other suggestion I have, since your wife may be using it for home defense, is get a 20GA. A little lighter with less recoil, and it will stop a goblin just as well in home defense use.

Set this up for the wife she is more likely to practice if it is easier to shoot.You can make do just fine with it as well.

Many years agoI took a women out to shoot my 870 12GA.She got bruised and did not like it!beatin.gif

Get yourself a 12ga side by each Stoeger coach gun.

"> hxttLvd5Zgc

Also available in 410 (if you're up to it)

Lichum,

Now i am going to have to see the pardner.

BG,

She is from eastern Ky., she can handle the 12ga.highfive.gif

But you are right, I am looking for a smaller weapon.

Homer,

I know the drill around here.....

If it's also for the wife, then a pump might not be the best choice.

My personal favorite home defense gun is a Remington 11-87, non rifled slug barrel, extended tube magazine, combat grip and operating handle, loaded with #5 shot. It can make hamburger in 3 seconds flat.

Very dependable so long as you use good ammunition (AA) and the recoil is minimal

I got a 500 and I got a 870. I like both and use them both probally equally for hunting small game. THe 870 is a better gun though.

The 11-87 that Sudsy sugested above is even better then the 870 IMO.

If buying for a woman, I'd buy the Remington 1100 in 20 gauge. Super nice gun with reduced weight and recoil but plenty of stopping power. I've owned and shot them all and killed several deer with a 20 gauge slug. Drops them dead in their tracks. icon14.gif

View PostIf it's also for the wife, then a pump might not be the best choice.

My personal favorite home defense gun is a Remington 11-87, non rifled slug barrel, extended tube magazine, combat grip and operating handle, loaded with #5 shot. It can make hamburger in 3 seconds flat.

Very dependable so long as you use good ammunition (AA) and the recoil is minimal

2nd.

Mine is an older 1100 2 3/4". Super X, lead 1 1/4 oz #2s (old duck and goose load, excellent burgular load) No hijack here, I know this debate has raged on hot and heavy for a long time, but... I shot a box turtle once with this load as a test (a little smaller but similar to a man's head) Nothing left but a red smear and some tiny pieces of shell (skull) Then I shot the interior wall of an old abandoned farm house. Put a newspaper on the back of a chair on the other side of the wall. The wall had a large hole on the near side (think turtle) and a slightly smaller hole on the off side. The newspaper survived.

View PostNice timing - the shotgun thread during non-Office Clowning hours.

I applaud you.

cwm27.gif

Not sure why he discounted the .410 so early in his search. headscratch.gif