Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Plug and teaser

Young Herring

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Wondering when the young Herring start making there way to the Ocean.

I fished a small Creek on the bay side a few years ago around Columbus day and 4 or 5 inch Herring were thick, so were the bass....

Do they start there travels much earlier than that or is it strictly a fall thing?

I assume to get that big the young Herring must stay in the ponds for a year or two. headscratch.gif

Typically right at this time of year juvenile something starts showing up. Don't know if its herring or peanuts or whatever. Witnessed a ton of them the other night.

Depends if you're talking river or sea herring. The young river herring start to drop out either the end of Aug or beginning of Sept (great timing for albiessmile.gif )

Young sea herring fry are already around in certain areas (I saw them in Plymouth last night for example)

View PostDepends if you're talking river or sea herring. The young river herring start to drop out either the end of Aug or beginning of Sept (great timing for albiessmile.gif )

Young sea herring fry are already around in certain areas (I saw them in Plymouth last night for example)

I assumed the one's I saw in the Creek ( it's a known run) were River herring.

I really don't know that much about either variety, do the young Sea Herring work there way up into Creeks etc. to feed in the fall? They were really thick that year, as the tide went down big schools of them would get caught in pools just outside the mouth of the creek and the gulls would massacre them.

View PostI assumed the one's I saw in the Creek ( it's a know run) were River herring.

I really don't know that much about either variety, do the young Sea Herring work there way up into Creeks etc. to feed in the fall? They were really thick that year, as the tide went down big schools of them would get caught in pools just outside the mouth of the creek and the gulls would massacre them.

I usually see the sea herring fry around more open harbors and usually north of the canal. While I haven't had much luck with them this year, I usually catch a lot of Plymouth hickory shad coinciding with these juvie herring's arrival...usually starting in June

I often see juvie river herring in harbors too...but there's usually a run not too far away (such as Sandwich Marina in the canal)...and as you indicated, I also see them in river systems as well.

I would say that the best way to determine the two is the timing of their arrival, as mentioned above

Atlantic herring reproduce at sea, so they never see fresh water. Alewives and bluebacks reproduce in fresh water, and come down to salt water at the end of their first season.