Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stresst

TV questions

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Years ago I was ontop off all new electronics everything from cell phones to car stereos to home surround sound. But over the last 10 years I fell out of the loopredface.gifredface.gif . I need to buy a few new TV's and im lost. I am going to upgrade the cable to HD box's but that's all I know. Can I use LCD tv's or do I need something else? Im not looking to refinance my house and I figure anything newer then what I have will be fine. Heck the tv in my bedroom is a flat screen Sony 20", the one that weighs about 100+ lbs. It was ahead of its time 12 years ago but not anymore, lol.

So what do I buy? Any help is appreciated.

Dad just bought 2 47" panasonic plasmas back in december. For high def the picture quality I think is the best and not sure I've seen better.

There are a number of decent flat screens out there. the new norm of size is 42-50 inch, all of these sets in 1080P can be had for 1000 or less & some for under 700. Vizio is a relative new comer, along with samsung and panasonic are very good models. Screens: LCD vs Plasma. This is a pepsi and coke debate. However after doing extensive research on the 2 including what I watch and the amount of light, picture quality and vibrant colors etc. I chose plasma.

One of the first things you should do is figure out where the set is going to go, on what wall etc. Ideally it should face away from windows, like on a south wall and preferably on the darkest wall in the house.

Rememebr the ratio of the screen is different, so if you are used to viewing a 27-30 inch screen, a 37inch plasma isn't much bigger.

Good luck, there is a lengthy thread about new TVs in here somewhere, I think it went on for about 14 pages of opinion.

Good luck.

as far as teh LCD vs plasma debate goes. An LCD picture will distort when looking at different angles where the plasma will not.

View PostThat doesnt help me.......... I see some are LCD some are HDTV some have all kinds of numbers 1080, 5000, etc. Im lost.......headscratch.gifredface.gif

Don't worry about the numbers, if you want to be confused go look at the numbers- most if not all is just a bunch of technocrap, something that the eye and ear can not detect.

Look at this way for a moment, the set you are about to buy is 100 times better than what you own right now. It not that difficult of a decision.

Most of it has been brought down to a level field of technolgy, not the case several years ago. Most flat screens were 2-4 inches front to back, the latest is an LCD screen that is about an 1-1.5 front to back- picture quality is the same.

View Postas far as teh LCD vs plasma debate goes. An LCD picture will distort when looking at different angles where the plasma will not.

Not true. I have a 52" Samsung LCD. You can watch it from anywhere.

View Postas far as teh LCD vs plasma debate goes. An LCD picture will distort when looking at different angles where the plasma will not.

I don't know if that is still true.

LCD and Plasma are two different screens that broadcast the same picture (broadcast) the difference I have found is that plasma has whiter whites and blacker blacks. Plasma is especially good for sports and low light filming of movies. IE lots of night scenes. The colors are also very vibrant.

LCD by all means is not a bad picture at all, and the difference really can only be seen side by side. Very subtle and again 100 times better than what you have.

Both screens you can sit off to the side with little to no distortion. I would say highly enjoyable would be 120 degrees