Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Pecking order - snapping turtle is higher than duck

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I saw something pretty cool earlier this evening...I took my daughter to a river walk to walk the dog and check out any wildlife (if you're in MA, this was the Charles River behind Shaws on River St in Waltham)...

Anyway, we were on a footbridge across the river and saw a snapping turtle...my daughter started throwing bread at it - to which it was only too happy to gobble down. A duck then came over and tried to grab some of the bread. The turtle didn't take to kind to that and bit the duck's foot and didn't let go for a few seconds. Once release, the duck flew back a few feet and all of his buddies decided to give the turtle his space and allow him to eat. I'm not sure I've seen a turtle move that fast before...cwm31.gifcwm27.gif

Btw, it was obvious that all the turtles we saw (there were also a number of smaller, differing species of turtle) as well as the ducks were conditioned to being fed by humans from that little bridge. Once they see people, they crank right up to the bridge waiting for handouts

They can be real quick. We have a big one here that lays in ambush below the beaver dam. When momma duck and the ducklings waddle over the dam, it's always ready to grab an easy meal when they re-enter the water.

LMB > Squirrel and Duck wink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"> <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"> <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

View PostLMB > Squirrel and Duck wink.gif

Dick! I choked on my waffle beatin.gif

View PostI heart.gif turtles! Never seen one other than swimming or sitting, but I still love them. Cell phone pics that the hubby took for me...

I had a pet box turtle.