Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Suggestions for a west coast trip next Summer...

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Ok - I just returned from FL, a trip I've made two years in a row where I travelled around the state a bit to do some fishing as well as some family stuff. I did very well last year and reasonably well this year. I love the areas I've been and will go back.

But now, I want to try something different next year. I've never been to the west coast and fished the Pacific Ocean. Due to school and work schedules, the timing would be the same as my two FL trips - mid July.

While I'm open for other suggestions, the three choices I have tentatively in mind would be the Seattle area, San Francisco area or Southern California.

While I'm not exactly expecting Costa Rica level fishing, I'm hoping to find somewhere that fishes reasonably well, but also would offer some other family adventures...Basically, in FL, I got up very early and fished 4 hours or so before heading out with the family to find things to do...I also fished some of the nights. I'm hoping to find a similar routine over on the left coast.

Now for the details...my entire drive for the S. Cal choice is to catch pacific bonito...I've read about Kings Harbor and such, but don't know enough specifics to determine whether to schedule such a trip around that - or how close the other attractions are.

Seattle - well, I don't know about the city itself (which looks to be a beautiful place)...but from what I understand, there is a saltwater salmon fishery as well as a steelhead fishery. Is the timing in July conducive to catching these fish in that area?

San Francisco - well I'm not too sure about the fishing except that I see different types of neat fish to catch there...such as leapard sharks, starry flounder, the smaller species of halibut, stripers (although I'm not sure I'd want to fly cross country to catch a fish I can catch right here in MA - heck, I didn't like catching bluefish in Naples, FL for the same reasonredface.gifcwm27.gif )...but the place just looks extremely versitile.

This would mostly be shore fishing with perhaps a party boat trip thrown in for good measure. Btw, when does the long fin albacore run usually occur and do head boats go after them or just charters?

Thanks in advance

PS - I both flyfish and use light tackle spinning gear...I have one or two heavier outfits if necessary...

Not so sure if I'd book a trip to SF just for the fishing. There are a lot of things to do, but if you're strictly looking to fish, I might go to Seattle or So Cal. If you came here, you'd have a few people who'd meet up with you and show you around if you could make the time. Sharks and Rays, Salmon if they are in and the season is open, Stripers and Halibut in the Bay and on the beaches. Always something to catch, but I am not sure I'd make my backyard a destination fishing trip....maybe because I live here?

Albacore are a blast and they are catching them right now between 25 and 75 miles out, but there aren't too many fish around 25 miles. They typically show up around July and August so your timing could be good. Hopefully within the next month or so the Albacore will move in and be 20 to 30 miles out in larger numbers. When they are around in large numbers, the head/party boats do run for them. The smaller 6 packs also run for them and if you can find a boat with a light load, it would be the way to go. Some of the 6 packs will also chum fish in close so you can throw your fly at them. That said, the Albacore fishing hasn't been real good in at least 2 years around here.

They also get Albacore in So Cal and even as far up as Washington around Gold Beach.

Florida thing...ain't happening..SCal. has better weather,prettier women and nicer beaches,fishing has more verity...Seattle is beautiful Country,,,fishing can be great,but clam digging and Oyster hunting can even be better...Steel Head,Salmon,Halibut....Eagles...I personally think a Trip to the Olympic rain forest is a must....

San Franisco Area,not so good for fishing,many places to visit..

So it is Seattle vs SCal....completely different.Rain..Pacfic North West has it All the time,that is why it is so beautiful..Southern Calif. is closer to what you want..me I love nature..Seattle for me..

I would do So-Cal if you get a chance, and make sure if it is summer, you book a twilight fishing trip. Boats generally leave around 4.30pm and return around 11pm. Way fun, catching sand bass, barracuda and calico bass. You won't regret it. Then maybe do a 1 day boat for a chance at yellowtail. wink.gif

fishing-wise, so-cal would probably be the best for hitting all your goals. gotta love being able to hit the water for an hour before your family wakes up and throwing with the chance to pick up a halibut, white seabass, 'cuda, croaker, bay bass or any of a number of other species, all from shore and often from the same spot.

the Pac-NW is, by far, the most beautiful of the options and summer shows the area off amazingly.

the SF Bay area has the most SOL members on the west coast who can lend you gear, share hot bites and impart other local knowledge (eat at this run-down dirty taco truck, not that run down dirty taco truck). it's also the best option for experiencing the hand to hand combat fishing that is poke poling and the monkey faced prickleback.

My bet would be to hit SoCal and hop on a ferry to Catalina Island. From the pier there, you can hook up on Pacific Bonito, Barracuda, huge rays, the occasional Yellowtail and other smaller exotic species. Plus it's beautiful out there.

so cal. I grew there. Fishing for yellowtail, bonita, makeral, albacore, sand bass, calico bass, baracuda, and don't forget if there running humbolt squid! A bit messy but worth it for the steaks. Check out you tube under newport beach squid fishing and other party boats, it will give you a good idea what it is like.