Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hunt for blueessss

why chase a 50 lb striper?!

16 posts in this topic

i know this is SOL, but I know longer want to catch stripers. today i went out with advice and technique from samschreiber and i was not disappointed by any means. hit up the CT River with my blue 712z, my whippy lamiglas (that I thought would break on a bluegill), a secret recommended bait from Sam, London Bridges by James Patterson, and a 2/0 Gami octopus hook with a sliding weight (almost decided to go with a size 2!!!!!) the best part of the day was I missed 2 fish while reading my book. never felt a carp hit and then it happened, a tug and draggg. completely caught off guard but sat my book down, lost my page and lost the fish. so i throw more bait out, check my hook and cast, into the sinking bait, and wait a second, nothing so i pick up my book and start reading. few minutes later, pullllll, but the book was sooooo good, i missed him that time too!

overly excited that I'm getting hits, and the book is coming to a close in about 20 pages, i decide to hold my rod in my right hand, book in my left and if he hits again, I'm gonna get him! I'm so excited! and it happens, pulllllllllll, SET THE HOOK, and HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!! heart.gifheart.gifheart.gif the drag SCREAMED, it was INCREDIBLE!!!!!! the rod bent, the fish took off half way across the river, turned back towards me, turned again, left, right, towards me, away! after a 3 minute heart stopping race, I realized I wasn't breathing as the fish started to rise and I started to win the fight. it was a blast, he finally got to the surface and I realized that I needed a bigger net, mainly because I was expecting 2 or 3 lb fish, not a FAT 2 foot, near 30 lb carp. i'm only guessing that weight because once I couldn't lift him up out of the water with the net, i grabbed the 25 lb fluoro leader and it snapped in half.

i was so excited i ran around screaming and celebrating, didn't bother fishing anymore to give my thanks to the river, and ran home. wish i would've taken a few pix, but i was alone and so far my record alone taking pix is this: blackberry river, blackberry river, samsung behold ocean, samsung behold 2 ocean, blackberry ocean, cheap nokia stream.....so now i finally realize phones and fish don't mix.

now that I know these fish are fun monsters with the cutest faces, they're my new fish of choice (after blues of course)

today was such a blast. thanks Sam for all of the advice, you rock!!!!!!

good job on the carp catch. can take some time, but always worth it to get a fish liek that from a small body of water.

but before someone else says it less politely, a 24" fish would need a 32" girth to weight 30 pounds wink.gif

View Postgood job on the carp catch. can take some time, but always worth it to get a fish liek that from a small body of water.

but before someone else says it less politely, a 24" fish would need a 32" girth to weight 30 pounds wink.gif

shhhhhhh, i know he was closer to 15-20 lbs but it was my first, therefore that makes him closer to 30 smile.gif he did snap the leader tho, i was sad but happy at the same timesmile.gif

View PostGood to know it went well! Many many more to comebeers.gif

it was close to 630 and the tide had just started rise. the current screwed with my chumming smile.gif i love low tide carping!!!!! lol

View Postit was close to 630 and the tide had just started rise. the current screwed with my chumming smile.gif i love low tide carping!!!!! lol

Oh thats cool, i didnt know you were fishing a tidal river. Was it a little salty or all fresh?

View PostOh thats cool, i didnt know you were fishing a tidal river. Was it a little salty or all fresh?

it was tidal. CT River, all fresh. it's actually in an area that stripers move in during the spring and hold over for a little while. in the early mornings, carp and stripers rocket out the sky chasing bugs and baitfish. it's pretty cool, you never know where which fish is getting ready to pop out