Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Bigdeal

Which Knot For The Teaser And Why......

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Which knot in your opinion is the best for attaching a teaser on to your main line.

Some attach with the Loop Knot some with the Palomar Knot directly to the main line like a Drop Shot......to keep the barb in the upright position....less missed hook-ups they say.

What Say You.......................?

MBD, even though I dig the tag end of a palomar for the teaser, in terms of effectiveness I think tying the teaser (3/8oz Spro) directly into the loop of the dropper is most effective.

Slide the teaser on the line, then make the dropper with the teaser pulling through the open 'coil' for the dropper. It just lays really nice & produces.

We do that but someone suggested the Palomar knot especially with a #4/0 gammi and some gulp shrimp. Lets the hook set in the up position and only hook the shrimp through the head.....not thread it on the hook.....make for more action like a drop shot.......No ?

"some with the Palomar Knot directly to the main line like a Drop Shot"

I've never tried that, I'm guessing you mean directly on or in the main line with the palomar knot. I"ve attached teasers using the smallest loop knot I could get away with and have had good success, have had some mates tie them with big loops (4" long) and seem to drop more fish while fluking. Was on another boat where no knot was used for hi/lo rig, they just pinched the line and threaded it through the hook eye and gave it a half a twist and over the hook point, we creamed the seabass with that no-slack approach. I gotta try something different, not for lack of catching but lack of fishing, vacation is coming up and that means I take along some family members that like fishing, but I end up sometimes doing more rigging than fishing. I've already told them that the Palomar knot and the clinch knot are mandatory this year, it may take the pain of seeing a big fish get away and to be left with a pigtail from a pulled knot for them to take it seriously.