Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mitchman

Mahi off west falmouth?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

On the water reported that a mahi mahi was reportedly caught off of west falmouth harbor! Doesn't sound impossible but did anyone else hear about this? Kinda reminds me of the swordfish caught in buttermilk bay 2 years ago....

anything is possible with warm water. I caught 2 spanish mackeral in the canal 15 or so years ago, one was @ 36"... Might have been a record someone told me. But I just took it home and cooked it (lousy too)

what a set of teeth~

On what seems to be about a 5 or 6 year cycle, mahi, skipjack tuna, and other exotics seem to make their rounds close to shore. The areas from Vineyard Sound and off the Vineyard over up through Narragansett(sp) Bay seem to be the particular areas you hear about this.

Regarding the spanish mackerel, I never caught one in the canal itself - However, when I used to own a boat (and even before, when I used to rent out of Makos), I used to get them outside Phinney's Harbor on a somewhat regular basis.

One year about 4-5 years ago ('Rip Tide' knows about this and in fact, clued us on to them), we were getting king mackerel out past Wings Neck...out in front of Megansett Harbor. That was the only day I've ever had the pleasure here in MA...but for that one day, it was pretty good as a friend and I tallied 8 in total. I've heard of them in other years and have concluded that these fish are not 'every year' fish, but are not unfamiliar with our turfsmile.gif

View Postanything is possible with warm water. I caught 2 spanish mackeral in the canal 15 or so years ago, one was @ 36"... Might have been a record someone told me. But I just took it home and cooked it (lousy too)

what a set of teeth~

You sure that was a Spanish, and not a king, mackerel?

36" would be a HUGE Spanish. I don't think there would be any "might have been" when it comes to a record.

Not sure at all cwm27.gif Never saw one before, figured that was what it was

had teeth like a baracuda~ Could have been a king. but it was 36".

I knew I had something odd on bringing it inwink.gif Ended up with 2 that am~

Interesting because I've heard they are pretty good eating, never had it myself. Supposedly the female span mack tops out at 33", so I'm also wondering if you actually caught a king?

-bd

View Postanything is possible with warm water. I caught 2 spanish mackeral in the canal 15 or so years ago, one was @ 36"... Might have been a record someone told me. But I just took it home and cooked it (lousy too)

what a set of teeth~

Man, are they fun to catch... Spent a day at the fingers last summer, casting at high flyers with light tackle- lots of life out there ended up with 6 or so.. also caught a small BFT and a False Albie that day

View PostInteresting because I've heard they are pretty good eating, never had it myself. Supposedly the female span mack tops out at 33", so I'm also wondering if you actually caught a king?

-bd

36" would be a decent sized king, but they can get much bigger.

Most of the toothed mackerel are good eats. I think that the cero mackerels are the main exception, though. Bonito are actually more closely related to the toothed macks than they are to tuna.

It would be great to get shots at Mahi in close out of the kayak. It might be possible during this coming week. 4 to 5 days of SE wind will keep the water temps at the peak, at least upper 70's maybe some near 80.

Need a WW report to warrant a trip down south. That could happen this weekend.

View PostIt would be great to get shots at Mahi in close out of the kayak. It might be possible during this coming week. 4 to 5 days of SE wind will keep the water temps at the peak, at least upper 70's maybe some near 80.

Need a WW report to warrant a trip down south. That could happen this weekend.

Mahi? Hell, I have a feeling some of the big game guys may run into some blue marlin in decent numbers as warm as the waters seem to be... I was surprised to see we actually had a state record for MA... over 600lbs, I think...

View PostMahi? Hell, I have a feeling some of the big game guys may run into some blue marlin in decent numbers as warm as the waters seem to be... I was surprised to see we actually had a state record for MA... over 600lbs, I think...

State records for offshore species often reflect where they're landed (ie, brought back to port), not where they're actually caught.