Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Unhooking spiny doggies

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

If you grab one from the belly right behind the pectoral fins, can you avoid getting spiked by these things? Dispatching is not an option (especially with my daughter there...and probably not even if I were alone).

I normally fish artificals but will buy bait when my daughter tags along and I hear the doggies have been thick - so I just want to be prepared in case I have to deal with them...

View PostIf you grab one from the belly right behind the pectoral fins, can you avoid getting spiked by these things? Dispatching is not an option (especially with my daughter there...and probably not even if I were alone).

I normally fish artificals but will buy bait when my daughter tags along and I hear the doggies have been thick - so I just want to be prepared in case I have to deal with them...

I would just cut the leader as close as possible to the hook.

On Tuesday we caught more than our share of dogs. I just grab them by the back of the head, squeeze a bit, onhook with pliers and send them back. Just watch them when they twist.

View PostOn Tuesday we caught more than our share of dogs. I just grab them by the back of the head, squeeze a bit, onhook with pliers and send them back. Just watch them when they twist.

Doggies can bend in half, and the spiny ones have teeth. I've unhooked hundreds of smooth doggies, but I wouldn't mess with the spinies. Hooks are cheap enough and in that cartilege mouth, it won't hurt them a bit.

No dogfish is worth wasting hardware on IMO...i have one of those hook engorger doo-hickeys, its a t shaped peice of metal with a bend you pop them off without even touching them. Far easier to dispatch em first though. cwm33.gif

Yeah, and watch it when you go to grab what you think is a smooth doogie in not the best lighting and try to get the hook out mad.gifmad.gif

Anyone ever get these from the shore.Night fishing for sharks,means getting doggies,and I keep worrying about spinneys(never having seen one from the surf) Those bastages gave a good friend a nasty wound offshore

Me and my buddy caught about 50 of them in a day down in Cape May. If i remember correctly we just kinda turned it on its side and stepped on the back end of it and pulled the hook out with needle nose pliers

Use to get them all the time on charters..Capt actually liked them because he would tell the mid-westerners they were catching sharkscwm27.gifcwm13.gif.. Just grab it like a man and take the hook out.

I should add...grab it like a man from the underside beers.gif

If you grab them while they are on a surface(sand, boat deck) behind the head you will be ok. If you try to pick them up with one hand only thats where you'll get into trouble. I found this out first hand. Early on I had one get me with it's spike right in the forearm. It happened so fast that at first I didn't know what happened. Then I look at my arm and see that the spike musta went a solid 2/3" into my arm. You think getting spiked by a sunny is bad........beatin.gif