Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Tomorrow night - what should I do???

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Tomorrow morning, my daughter and I will be making the ride out the the Nausett area because she wants to see a seal (also a shark - but I told her that was a long shot/fat chanceredface.gifcwm27.gif) I'm not really even sure of our chances of seeing a seal as we normally look in chatham with little luck except for the few that hold near that sea food place that cleans fish in the harbor.

But anyway, my part of the deal is that I'll be either 1) heading further out to fish the outer cape and maybe even race pt (I have never fished there before) or 2) backtrack and make one more attempt at the brownshark thing on the southside/Mashpee area...last Sat I took the skunk but not sure if the bright moon had anything to do with it. And I'm not sure of the tides at either location - but would like a high tide if the shark thing the final choice. So anyway, how's the fishing out towards P-Town been lately and has anyone had luck with the brown sharks this week?

Also, are the seals in Nauset normally numerous and viewable from the more public tourist areas of that beach??? - While I can't say for sure until we get there, I'm leaning towards not wanting to take too much of a hike or take those little 'ferry' boats to Monomy, etc...My hopes is that we can see a few seals, then beat out of there to more greener (i.e. fishy) pastures.

I haven't been out there this year but if it's like the last few just walk onto Nauset right from the lot.

If no seals are visible, start casting and there will be 2-3 in front of you in a few minutes.

View PostI haven't been out there this year but if it's like the last few just walk onto Nauset right from the lot.

If no seals are visible, start casting and there will be 2-3 in front of you in a few minutes.

So a fishing rod is kind of like bait of sorts???cwm27.gif

View PostGo to the Chatham fish peir. Plenty of seals up close.

As far as witnessing a seal getting mauled your best bet is likely an Audobon cruise to Monomoy.

Thanks - not too likely to happen...while I'd love an opportunity to watch a GW maul a seal, I'm not willing to put that much effort into something that's such a long shot. I'd rather let her see a couple of seals, if we get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle, we can see the shark thing...but my priority is to be off somewhere else fishing as soon as she takes a couple of snap shots of some seals.

View PostSo a fishing rod is kind of like bait of sorts???cwm27.gif

The seals aren't dumb! They have realized that guys fishing equate to an easy meal and have been documented following fisherman up and down the beaches. I haven't seen it personally but have read numerous articles about it and many grumbling fisheran's tales of wo!

when they see someone with a rod they follow them down the beach. In some locations they even have started to follow the buggies.

You almost must wait for dark when they bed down for the night to get in any good fishing time. If you do get lucky make sure you do not play around with it to long as the noise will bring a rush of meat eaters to your location

Alibicized

The Race from my sources have told me that it hold plenty of small fish, but if one went to Herring Cove you still might get into some early evening fishing on Blue fish.

Now if you feel adventurous, take the walk down to Hatches harbor , especially on the outflow. Bring a light rod and cast into the edges of the outgoing flow

Thanks a lot for that - I think that's what I'll do. I've never fished the race before and it's been years since I've fished herring cove. I'll have to look up that Hatches Harbor location (maybe I'll throw in the flyrod after allbiggrin.gif )

Last year I was up at Race this time of year, and there were big seals everywhere, every 15-20 ft were big dark heads. They were only 15' from shore, made for some great photos and lousy fishing. We did catch a couple blues as the sun set.

loads of seals on the upper backside beaches. been pretty spotty down there. also, hatches has been iffy; but it's a beautiful place to give it a shot. you're better off waiting until mid-october. fishing can be incredible down there when the fish decide to make the final blast-off for migration around the harbor. the best fishing i ever had down the race was one year a few back in first week of november. monster blues and bass! yup november.

if i were you, since you're in the suburbs, i'd try in s.maine, off york or ogunquit. good bass fishing up there

If your going to Nauset ,go, make 5 casts then move200ft.,make 5 casts then move200ft. keep ahead of the seals UNTILL THERE WAITING FOR YOUR CAUGHT FISH.