Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rpearlberg

Might be a stupid question

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So i've just gotten into fishing. I usually fish off of a sailboat, sometimes moving, sometimes anchored. When we are moving, the lure usually is being pulled and most of the time is right near the surface of the water or bouncing in and out. What can I do to get the lure to "sink" or stay under the water while it's being pulled?

Put an inline sinker ahead of your lure. I used a 20' leader swivel 10' a sinker then 10' then snap swivel to the lure usually a spoon. Problem with a sailboat your either going too fast or too slow, and when you tack it goes to the bottom. Rattle trap type baits worked for stripers & blues on the Chesapeake if your speed wasn't too fast. Power boats keep cutting your lines they don't expect a sailboat to be trolling.

It helps to get the line running from a lower point. If your rod is too long or high up this will happen frequently. It also helps to let out more line. Try either investing in some flat line clips, or use the old rubber band-around-the-reel trick. The rubber band will break when a fish hits, releasing the line. This will make your line enter closer to the water.

View PostIt helps to get the line running from a lower point. If your rod is too long or high up this will happen frequently. It also helps to let out more line. Try either investing in some flat line clips, or use the old rubber band-around-the-reel trick. The rubber band will break when a fish hits, releasing the line. This will make your line enter closer to the water.

That is a great idea.highfive.gif