Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishoninct

eel advice?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Never fished with them, but may try them this year. Where do you hook them? What size and style of hook? How do you keep them alive? In a bucket with water or just rockweed?

HELP PLEASE.

When fishing eels I keep them in a any small container, small plastic cooler or loose plastic bag, the key is with one of those plastic cooler blocks. "Cold pack"? The cooling envirment will make the eels last for days

Anyway this keeps the eels comfortable numb and easier to handle and to hook up[. The cold pack doesn't melt like ice would- effectively drowning the eels with fresh water.

As far as hooking them, make sure you have an old rag, T SHIRT to handle them, hook them thru the eyes, nose or just the lower jaw. it depends on the situation- experiment.

good luck

If you got a few buckets lying around, drill holes in the bottom of two of them and stack all three. Ice in the top bucket, eels and bubble weed in the middle bucket and the bottom one catches all the water from the melting ice and eel poop. Ive kept them alive for more than a week like this, who knows how long they could live like that, just change the ice as needed. Sometimes the look dead but they perk right up when you impale them on a hook.

When I go fishing I put them in a small soft cooler with bubbleweed and just a little crushed ice, never had em die and you could throw a few bud lights in there too if you want. I use scotch brite pads to grab them with, nice and grippy, Riddler told me that trick. Gami octopus hooks 7/0 and hook them through the lower jaw and out an eyeball.

If they do die on ya, save em and do a search on how to rig them dead, they work well that way too. I like the pt. Jude wobblehead personally.

This is just what works for me and where I fish, might have to adapt a bit for yourself once you get the hang of it.

Fishin eels is a good time beers.gif good luck bud. -Al