Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobInNH

Nats Strasburg

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

This could evolve into a full scale disaster for the NATS.

First thing I thought about when he was scratched was....rotator cuff surgerycwm31.gif

NATS are trying to kinda downplay the injury....but given their luck, I'm expecting the worst.

A few weeks ago in Atlanta, Riggleman sent The Kid up to the plate in a 0=0 game with a runner at 2nd and 2 out...

obvious pinch hitter situation...and Strasburg had pitched 6 scoreless innings at that juncture...it was clearly time to go the bullpen...

Strasburg grounded out to end the inning and went to the mound gassed after the sprint to 1st......

he went 3=0 on the 1st hitter he faced and couldn't get a strike over....ball 4 was almost a wild pitch....

but Riggleman still didn't pull him...

Stephen got shelled after that, gave the Braves a few easy runs and took the loss...

I think that was when Strasburg hurt his arm...

if it was...it is totally Riggleman's faultmad.gif

View PostThis could evolve into a full scale disaster for the NATS.

First thing I thought about when he was scratched was....rotator cuff surgerycwm31.gif

NATS are trying to kinda downplay the injury....but given their luck, I'm expecting the worst.

A few weeks ago in Atlanta, Riggleman sent The Kid up to the plate in a 0=0 game with a runner at 2nd and 2 out...

obvious pinch hitter situation...and Strasburg had pitched 6 scoreless innings at that juncture...it was clearly time to go the bullpen...

Strasburg grounded out to end the inning and went to the mound gassed after the sprint to 1st......

he went 3=0 on the 1st hitter he faced and couldn't get a strike over....ball 4 was almost a wild pitch....

but Riggleman still didn't pull him...

Stephen got shelled after that, gave the Braves a few easy runs and took the loss...

I think that was when Strasburg hurt his arm...

if it was...it is totally Riggleman's faultmad.gif

cwm27.gifcwm27.gif A young kid gassed after running to first.

Supposedly the MRI showed nothing......heard on ESPN that hes had the same thing happen in college and even in his short minor league career.

Given his potential Id say they're doing the right thing by putting him on the DL for a brief period, no sense taking chances.

View Postcwm27.gifcwm27.gif A young kid gassed after running to first.

Strasburg had pitched 6 innings...and pitched well enough to shut out an excellent Braves team on a hot night in Atlanta...that is a hard night for a rookie pitcher...

Yeah, he was gassed and it really showed when he went to the mound ... and he couldn't throw a strike to the leadoff hitter on 3-0 ...

leaving him in the game after that to get shelled by the Braves hitters was unforgivable, given the long term value to the team that The Kid represents, and the well understood goal of taking it slow and being careful with him...

hey...I hope he is ok....Strasburg has really been awesome and he has provided a rare bright spot for NATS fans...clapping.gif

watching him mow down opposition hitters is a blast!

My gut says this is purely a precautionary thing because of 1) the kid is young and is their gravy train in the years to come and 2) the team itself sucks and taking the cautious route hurts nothing except for maybe a few ticket sales

View PostMy gut says this is purely a precautionary thing because of 1) the kid is young and is their gravy train in the years to come and 2) the team itself sucks and taking the cautious route hurts nothing except for maybe a few ticket sales

absolutely. They need to have him for 10+ years to come.

Good timing for the Phil's, both Strasburg and Capps gone for this weekends series....

Guys like Strasburg who are phenoms just don't last. I hope he does but history is not in his favor..... Like brilliant flame that burns out fast but so explosive while it happens...

John

View PostGood timing for the Phil's, both Strasburg and Capps gone for this weekends series....

Guys like Strasburg who are phenoms just don't last. I hope he does but history is not in his favor..... Like brilliant flame that burns out fast but so explosive while it happens...

John

Kerry 'whatshisface', formerly of the Cubs' is a good example of what you're referring to...that guy is still banging around the bigs somewhere...but he's not half the pitcher he used to be

View PostKerry 'whatshisface', formerly of the Cubs' is a good example of what you're referring to...that guy is still banging around the bigs somewhere...but he's not half the pitcher he used to be

That would be Woods, like in Tiger!!

Nats have too much money (guaranteed) involved in this kid as well as his extraordinary talent. They aren't going anywhere this year so put him on the shelf for a few weeks and maybe bring him back for a few September starts.

View Postabsolutely. They need to have him for 10+ years to come.

This is why it was so shocking to see Riggleman send The Kid up to bat and back onto the mound after the rookie had already shut out the Braves for his full "quota" of innings...

it was even more grevious a mistake when you factor in the game situation=

2 outs....0-0 game....go ahead run on second....hot nite...playing on the road...pitcher scheduled to hit...

SOMEONE HELP ME OUT HERE....is this not a pinch hitter/bullpen scenario every time...headscratch.gif

After he grounded out for the 3rd out,Strasburg walked the first hitter he faced when he went back to the mound....

with the batter taking the pitch on a 3 balls no strikes count, Stephen could not muster a free strike...he looked awkward throwing ball 4 and it was nearly a wild pitch...

Riggleman left him in the game and The Kid got roughed up pretty good by the Braves before he finally got pulled.... by then the Braves had scored a few runs and the game was out of hand...

jmo....Strasburg hurt his arm on the awkward ball 4 that he threw into the dirt a couple feet from the plate...

Riggleman made several mistakes that nite that may end Strasburg's career before it really starts...

instead of erring on the side of caution, Riggleman managed like he was in a coma and expected The Kid to pitch a complete game...

it is hard to swallow all of the kudos the NATS are getting from the media for "protecting their star rookie"....that is just not truemad.gif

Anyway....great game tonite...Miss Iowaheart.gif is going to throw out the 1st pitch and "best curve ball in MLB" Oswalt is starting for the Phillies...

What a GREAT!! move by Philly to get past the mistake of letting Lee go and reviving their chances for another pennantclapping.gifclapping.gif

I am hoping that Adam Dunn will be playing for the NATS tonite... but we may have seen him for the last time in a NATS uniform.....

Here on DC radio Riggleman said they needed a pitcher to bring up, and put on the roster. That's why Strauss was DLed, not because the injury is that serious. The Nats were going to limit Strauss to 160 innings total, or something like that, So 15 days on the shelf will extend his season somewhat. I guess we'll see if he comes off the DL when scheduled, and continues pitching.

hey dena...I hope you are right about it not being a serious injury, but we sure have been snakebit recently...

nice win last nite...Oswalt got drubbed, I quess he wasn't ready for prime time in DC haha...

Miss Iowa threw out the 1st pitch...the other nite when Strasburg was scratched and replaced by Batista, Batista said that he didn't blame the fans for being unhappy...that it was like going to see Miss Universe and ending up with Miss Iowa..haha

Miss Iowa was a great sport about the whole thing.....what a sweetheartheart.gif

View PostThe Nats could put her on the mound and sell a few extra tix. With the kid out they will have more Phils fans in attendance than Nats fans.

There have been a ton of Philly fans in the stands for the series.

They were whooping it up last nite when the Phils came back and then went up by one in the top of the 9th...beers.gif

but the 3 run walkoff HR by Zimmerman kinda took the wind out of their sails.....highfive.gif

NATS are going for the series sweep this afternoon....beatin.gif