Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bradW

Canal History...

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

the hot air balloon thread jogged my memory. Never heard that story, but i have vague memories of this incident...even though i was 4, i still remember my dad bringing me to see the tug that had sunk. cool video, also has a tanker which beached in chatham.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgbVLXWJTPE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"> qgbVLXWJTPE

Thanks for putting that up Brad.clapping.gif

I remember the tug sinking like it was yesterday. Sort of right behind where the ice arena presently sits.

If I recall, the tug captain was towing the barge with the tide, and was in the process of lengthening his tow rope. Wasn't going fast enough as he let out rope, the barge overtook the tug, climbed up on the fantail, and sunk her, stern first.redface.gif

View PostSo what's the story about the tanked grounded off of Chatham?

It actually beached south of the Nauset parking lot in Orleans in the Pochet area.After it was refloated there was a big hole left[Eldia Hole] in the bar and the bass were in it big time that next season.Alot of 40#s and up were yanked out of therebiggrin.gif .