Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghost

Tomato problems continue

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Tomato problems continue, last year it was early blight that wiped out everthing. This I got past early blight but now I believe I am fighting Anthranose a fungus that effect the fruit causing small round sunken spots that darken over time. Treat with copper sprays.

I was having the best crop of tomatos I ever had and now Anthranose. Its a fungus that comes from the soil just like blight.

I am already thinking about next year and how to break this cycle.

Can't rotate where I plant but I can remove the top soil and put plastic down. Would that work???? looking for ideas

That sounds more like late blight to me.......and you mentioned early blight wiping out last years crop....early blight generally won't wipe out a crop, it just causes a lot of leaf damage and really doesn't effect the fruit. I think what you had last year was late blight, and unfortunately, it carried over for you to this year despite your spraying efforts.

Sorry ya gotta deal with this.......frown.gif

I gotta run, but will try to get more info for you tomorrow......

One thing......with late blight, treating with copper sprays will DO NOTHING once ya have it.....you have to treat all season long, starting before the plants get it or show any signs of it. Once they have it, all hope is lost, unfortunately.....copper sprays are a prophylactic, not a cure.......

Well I did more research and went to a local farmer friend who confirmed my tomatos are suffering from a fungus called Anthranose. A fungus that comes from the soil. Piture match the wed perfectly as description. The blight last year was also a soil type fungus. This garden has been in the same spot for more the 20 years and only the last two have had this problem. By the way my friendly farmers solution rotate away from the same area.

I wonder if plactic covering the entire ground suface would prevent a reoccurance.

Typically you'd fumigate the soil but it's not so practical as a home gardener. Look for resistant varieties to grow or you may have to switch to other crops that don't harbor the disease for a few years.