Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brushfly

Reddington

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

In 1994 I made my first trip out to Jackson, WY. to fish that area and Yellowstone itself. Having never fly fished freshwater, went out and bought myself a budget 5/6 wt. Reddington set up. Made a few more trips to that area and the Conny now and then.

Once in a while, I used the 6wt. on small schoolie bass here in the harbor. During some worm hatches it was a ball, one time connecting with a fish just over 28".

Well I hi-sticked it a few weeks back and broke the top section of this 4 pc. Packed it up, filled out some paperwork I downloaded off Reddington's site. Sent it UPS Ground with a $30.00 handling fee and five days after they received it, I now have a brand new RS4 5wt. fly rod in my hand. This rod sells for around $169.00 from the large online retailers. I think the combo I bought back in '94 was $125 (rod, reel, pack bag, line and backing). Point is, they replaced it with a much better rod then I sent them overlooking the wear and tear I've put on it over the years.

Great service and something I'll remember next time I purchase a rod. Sage and others carry the same lifetime guarantee.

Redington and Sage are two top notch outfits. Rio is another great company. Enjoy your new rod.

I currently use 4 wt and 6 wt CPX Redington rods for freshwater and love them.

Spigbiggrin.gif

I shudder to think what will happen to your new 5 wt. Redington flyrod in the salt if you hook up with an even mediocre striper or blue let alone an albie!

Since you now fish primarily in the salt, possibly you should have mentioned to them in a note with your return that you really no longer fish the freshwaters (hey! who can now that the Long Island, NY Conny and Caleb Smith no longer have trout fishing) and you'd prefer a replacement of at least a 7 wt?

Redington probably would have done it for you.....fishing situations change and I'm kind of thinking a 5 wt. or a 7/8 wt. really don't present much of a pricing dilemma for the rod company.

What are your thoughts about this?

In hindsight that might have been a good idea as I own a sweat 3/4 Hexagraph which I've gone to for all my sweatwater applications. (Few and far between).

The rod that broke was a 5/6, they replaced it with a straight 5. For one, I don't like to stress anything I'm releasing so the five is probably not going to see too much action on board. However, with that six I did in that one fish over 28" in five minutes maybe. I don't think most schoolies would be out of range. The time I used the six was during hatches which tend to hold smaller fish and some topwater application for schoolies inside the harbor. We'll see, here I'll use the five and watch, some fish over 30 will hit it. smile.gif

View PostI shudder to think what will happen to your new 5 wt. Redington flyrod in the salt if you hook up with an even mediocre striper or blue let alone an albie!

Since you now fish primarily in the salt, possibly you should have mentioned to them in a note with your return that you really no longer fish the freshwaters (hey! who can now that the Long Island, NY Conny and Caleb Smith no longer have trout fishing) and you'd prefer a replacement of at least a 7 wt?

Redington probably would have done it for you.....fishing situations change and I'm kind of thinking a 5 wt. or a 7/8 wt. really don't present much of a pricing dilemma for the rod company.

What are your thoughts about this?

Loomis did that for me but I think it was mainly because they didn't have a suitable replacement at the time so I had to buy something else in that weight. Not sure if they'd still do it if they had a replacement but who knows. I figure that might breed some abuse of the warranty.

View PostI shudder to think what will happen to your new 5 wt. Redington flyrod in the salt if you hook up with an even mediocre striper or blue let alone an albie!

I regularly land 20-30lb class tarpon on a 5wt. Landing fish isn't a big deal, they're not stressed, there's no long recovery time for these fish. I think you're biggest issue would be the flies you're throwing and the conditions you would be able to fish.

I appreciate the info on Redington's customer service and warranty.

At a local shop today we were discussing the Redington CPX switch rod and sounds like it might be worth a good look.

Good point on fly sizes and weights. I scale down my clousers when using it. The six use to cast gurglers like a dream and i think this one will too. There so dam light and aerodynamic. Crease flies a bit tougher I'm afraid.