Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
speedy pete

milstone outflow

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Pete - Tell us more, from shore, day or night?

I don't fish there, but I can't imagine it would be too good for stripers right now and certainly not in the daytime.

The water is too warm, you might see occasional schools on bait going through, but that would be hit or miss.

If you're in a boat - well that's different.

This time of year that water is WAY too hot for the stripers in my opinion. I would head around the points and look for structure and rips. There are bass around.

Last time I checked, shore access to Millstone (and any other nuclear power plant outflow) was forbidden due to 9/11 and security concerns.

-bd

Powerplants hold fish and bait when other places do not because of their warm water outflows, which create a tolerable microclimate when the surrounding water is too cold. The sound is 73 degrees now - you need to be looking for cold water, not hot.

Agree, your best bet from shore right now is a deep water drop-off if you can find it. If you can get near an outflow mouth near an estuary where the bait supply is, so much the better.

-bd

View PostPowerplants hold fish and bait when other places do not because of their warm water outflows, which create a tolerable microclimate when the surrounding water is too cold. The sound is 73 degrees now - you need to be looking for cold water, not hot.

most of the time i just through deadly dicks and storm lures but all i can catch are blues. and last time i tried hooking some wieghts on and tryed to get my lures deeper into the water in hopes that id land a bass. i fish it mostly during the afternoon into early evening. seeing as my gramps is like 60 he rarely stays out later then 9 oclock

bluefish tolerate warm water a lot better than bass. if there's bait present and you're hooking blues but no bass its almost certainly because the water's too warm - it being daytime doesn't help either as bass prefer to feed in darkness. If you can't fish it at night, try dropping back from the outflow a ways and find a dropoff - it doesn't have to be much, even a little ledge or hole where its a few feet deeper and work that over - if there are bass around waiting to go feed after dark that's where they'll probably be, and if they aren't actively feeding and hitting a lure, try sending some fresh bunker heads to the bottom.

View Postbluefish tolerate warm water a lot better than bass. if there's bait present and you're hooking blues but no bass its almost certainly because the water's too warm - it being daytime doesn't help either as bass prefer to feed in darkness. If you can't fish it at night, try dropping back from the outflow a ways and find a dropoff - it doesn't have to be much, even a little ledge or hole where its a few feet deeper and work that over - if there are bass around waiting to go feed after dark that's where they'll probably be, and if they aren't actively feeding and hitting a lure, try sending some fresh bunker heads to the bottom.

Yup - only a week and a half ago, I was catching bluefish in 88 degree water while on vacation down in Naples FLheadscratch.gif

View PostPowerplants hold fish and bait when other places do not because of their warm water outflows, which create a tolerable microclimate when the surrounding water is too cold. The sound is 73 degrees now - you need to be looking for cold water, not hot.

Many times there is a bait and no bluefishcwm27.gif