Hobie prices going up

i had the outback and at first i was like "i made a mistake spending so much money", but in my first day on the surf and 10 hours of fishing on it, theres no 2 like hobie. outback revo or adventure. i regret selling mine,i get mad at myself everytime i think about it.mad.gif

In order for you to be respected you have to respect yourself first.Be thankful for everything you have.

View PostPopularity encourages the price to go up. At least that has been my experience.

It's usually the exact opposite. Popularity causes more companies to try to compete in the market, which usually drives down the "base model" price since you have so many makes trying to get in on the action. What popularitity also does, is encourages innovation, so while the base model pricing usually goes down, more expensive models with more features and benefits, and patent pending designs come on the scence.

Because of the increased exposure and growing popularity , you can pick up a decent yak at places like Costco, BJ's etc, complete with paddle, seat, and foam roof rack for under $350.

now playing on a rockpile near you...

View PostHere is the way I look at it, fwiw.

I was very close to buying a 24ft CC about 8 years ago. Then I saw a kid catch a 60+ lb bass off the beach in a yak. My life changed that day.

I bought my first yak on EBay with all due haste. A really cool guys still uses that boat to this day.

But I was ready to drop $44k on the boat. I would probably not even be paying into the principal loan amount yet. Part of the package was a GPS/Sonar package. It went for $1900. I was looking at a slip THIRTY MINUTES from the inlet that went for $1700 for the season and that was a deal. Today that boat would cost over $250 to fill with gas.

I now have 5 yaks all bought and paid for. I have all the gear and toys imaginable, dry suit, gps and I barely broke $10K over 8 years.

Pricing is all relative is my point. Yes there are cheaper yaks, lighter yaks, faster yaks. But as Ross pointed out there are no other viable pedal yaks. For me to drop less on a yak than a boat electronics package and slip for three months is well worth it. I wish they would not raise pricing, but knowing how Hobie does things, I would be shocked if they did not add value while raising prices. Fact is we live in a free market system and if the market could not or will not bear the price increase their sales will drop. Period.

I also find it kind of amusing for people who swear they would never in a million years be in a Hobie, complaining about the pricing. Why would such a person care? Perhaps gloating? Or poking a tiger with a stick? Like I said it makes me smile sardonically.

We all find value in different things. People think I am insane to fish with Costas, VS, or Boga. Thats fine, I think its nuts to have a mortgageheadscratch.gif Its a personal thing and we all make our own personal choices. Thats the number one aspect of kayaking I like the most. It lets people be individuals. If they want fast or slow, heavy or light, pedal or paddle, we are still yak anglers and nobody is doing wrong, unless they are not being safe.

More COFFEE Maggie!cwm31.gif

Excellent breakdown of the pricing, everyone has a different point of view, and I gotta say, yours makes alot of sense.

BTW, I would love to own a Hobie, looking at getting one possibly next season. I would still keep my paddle kayak, it is, for me, as good as it gets for much of my fishing, but a peddle boat would be great. But being in college they are too pricey for me right now. Maybe in the next season or two. There are several places I fish that the pedals would indeed be an advantage.

And I would NEVER fish without Costa's either...Well, I would, but it would suckbiggrin.gif

View PostI fished (7) trips on my new X-Factor........the LAST trip was with three other fellows I met On-Line....all of which were using Outbacks & Revo's.........I heart.gif my Outbackbiggrin.gif

Hey Michael! Hows the summer been for you? I gotta say, at Kipto you made me want an Outback BAD!!!

4 MORE MONTHS TILL KIPTOwink.gifbiggrin.gif

View PostHey Michael! Hows the summer been for you? I gotta say, at Kipto you made me want an Outback BAD!!!

4 MORE MONTHS TILL KIPTOwink.gifbiggrin.gif

I'm good......went last night and getting ready to leave now.....Flounder-poundin'biggrin.gif Couple small Stripers thrown in with the mix!!!

Here's my pricing breakdown:

X-Factor-$999.00

STS Seat-$150.00

Paddle-$125.00

Rudder--$299.00

------------------

TOTAL: $1573.00

BUY A HOBIE for $1750.00biggrin.gif

View Post

X-Factor-$999.00

STS Seat-$150.00

Paddle-$125.00

Rudder--$299.00

------------------

For someone just starting out, the Hobie package may be a good deal. But most guys already have a good seat, and a much better paddle and cart than the POS you get with the Hobie. Plus you can pick up a brand-new X-Factor for about $750. Numbers are a little off.

When does the patent on the Mirage run out? They only last 20 years. When it does, you will see prices drop big time.

View PostI don't know for 2 grand, I won't be drinking that cool-aid. I'll stick with my purist views and keep paddling.

To each their own, I guess.

Have to admit...Im a paddler but i see the advantage of a foot drive. If I didnt already have an X-Factor Id get a Hobie.

View PostI'm good......went last night and getting ready to leave now.....Flounder-poundin'biggrin.gif Couple small Stripers thrown in with the mix!!!

X-Factor-$999.00

STS Seat-$150.00

Paddle-$125.00

Rudder--$299.00

------------------

Flounder has been pretty amazing this year here as well, with plenty of 16-25" stripers in the marsh. Caught a 24" yesterday, while paddling a new area looking for fall speck spots.

Your price list does indeed show a quality paddle yak is not a whole lot cheaper.

The X Factor could be found cheaper, but then for a serious paddler, the difference would be made up with a 250-300$ paddle rather than a 125$, so the total price is still basically the same.

View PostFor someone just starting out, the Hobie package may be a good deal. But most guys already have a good seat, and a much better paddle and cart than the POS you get with the Hobie. Plus you can pick up a brand-new X-Factor for about $750. Numbers are a little off.

When does the patent on the Mirage run out? They only last 20 years. When it does, you will see prices drop big time.

Got it from KFS......the site you promote.......did I get taken???

View PostFlounder has been pretty amazing this year here as well, with plenty of 16-25" stripers in the marsh. Caught a 24" yesterday, while paddling a new area looking for fall speck spots.

Your price list does indeed show a quality paddle yak is not a whole lot cheaper.

The X Factor could be found cheaper, but then for a serious paddler, the difference would be made up with a 250-300$ paddle rather than a 125$, so the total price is still basically the same.

We just got in......couple small stripers on topwater and some short fluke.....but still was a nice morning!!!

Good job on the Flounder!!!

I didnt write that real clear. The 24" was a striper. I wish it had been a 24" flounder though! My biggest flounder this year was a 21.5", on a Spro. That flounder citation is HARD to get, it was my goal this year, but it hasnt happened yet lol.