Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
barrell

Hobie prices going up

84 posts in this topic

No details on how much yet, but we have been informed that the 2011 prices are going up in October. Most dealers are now trying to move out their 2010's before the 2011's arive so now might be the best time to pull the trigger.

That's too bad. Hobie's already overpriced, but supply and demand has created this scenario. Yet at the same time, with this faltering economy, you would've hoped they'd kept prices static.

p.s I'm a Hobie owner.

View PostIs it improved, redifined? if it's th same as th 2010 was th reason for th price bump dont get it.

There are supposed to be some new 'mind-blowing' modifications or addtions to the yaks. I dont know more than that, but it came from as good a source as you can find.cwm15.gif

I am interested to see what the deal is.

View PostHow much higher can they go ? You're already looking at around $2000 after taxes for one.

Yep, one of the reasons why people get into kayak fishing is to avoid the expense of owning a boat. We are getting to a point where getting a Hobie is becoming impractical to a lot of guys. Even if they come out with something mindblowing, how many folks are going to have the cash to avoid it - again, especially in this economy?

You can get a 20hp 4 stroke that will fish for a week on 6 gallons, and is covered for 3 years for 2,400$. 16' aluminum boats are laying around for 100-200$. Not saying I would or even want too, just saying, there aint much difference in price, from a "cheaper way to fish" standpoint.

BTW I dont even really want to fish from a boat anymore, and am definitely not saying a 16' boat can fish the conditions a kayak can, just pointing out a couple things to think aboutwink.gif

Worse thing to happen to kayak fishing was popularity and the price of petroleum....

Ya want cheap ....... go to Dick's

Ya want quality then buy a Hobie .......... they can raise the prices because they can't keep them on the shelves and the Hobie users love their Yaks .........

If ya want a deal then buy within the next month ......... I did

View PostThere are supposed to be some new 'mind-blowing' modifications or addtions to the yaks. I dont know more than that, but it came from as good a source as you can find.cwm15.gif

I am interested to see what the deal is.

<Edit - enough with the personal attacks. You just earned the second infraction I've ever given out here ~ Sudsy>

They'll price themselves out of the general market and will just become an elitist company like Orvis. Perfect time for the companies with affordable electric yaks to take Hobie on.

View PostWorse thing to happen to kayak fishing was popularity and the price of petroleum....

I dont understand how a sport becoming popular is a bad thing. If anything it brings awareness to the fact that there are kayakers out there, and it increases the options someone has while in the sport

Popularity encourages the price to go up. At least that has been my experience. While the industry has grown by leaps and bounds, the days of owning multiple yaks, at least for me, are in the past. Going to make my tarpons last forever. And of course plastics are hugely expensive. Can't spend five or six grand on two yaks and accessories.