Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SleepWalker

Rigging the Red Gill

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys I've used the Red Gills a few years but don't have enought info on what works best as far as rigging them up for teasers. I've used 6", 8", 12", & 16" with an assortment of chasers such as bucktails, Smilen' Bills, Swimmers, poppers etc. even eels. But like I said I have not used them long enough to evaluate the data (fishing Log). Any suggestion or proven techniques. Especially leader size used as a teaser. Would be casting from a rocky purch from the beach. cwm15.gif

I tie my rig for the rocks with 40# mono a swivel and one snap. A 12" line from swivel to the teaser and 48" line from the same swivel to a snap. I use a teaser usually a Red Gill with all plugs and jig type lures. Hope this helps.

Sleep, I've always used the 4-inch black red gills and they've caught stripers and blues both big and small. It's more of a match-the-hatch/bait type of thing rather than big lure--big fish idea. I use them in both heavy current situations--south county breachways and open beaches with success and not much tangling in both places. Good luck! HappyWave.gif

Do you find that teasers will still work in strong currents or will they tangle too easily?

Rwilhelm: Yes they work in strong current but you have to be careful. The length of your leader is a factor, the longer it is, the better chance you'll have of entanglement. I usually use 12"-18" leader and a 24" working lineHappyWave.gif

Just like to thanx you guys for the response thought I'd get more but happy I got something!

Yes it helped, icon14.gif as you know, any little bit helps when it comes to knowledge, again thanx! HappyWave.gif Tight Lines! biggrin.gif