Newell 220-F Unused In Original Box

Hello Everyone,

I realize I'm a new guy to the forum as I'm not a salt water guy given the fact I live in Omaha Nebraska, but thanks for any input. I'm a reel collector, more along the lines of abu garcia 6000 series. They are great for catfishing around the rivers in my area so I've learned to love them.

With that being said I ran across an unused Newell 220-F in an original box with all literature and a model catalog poster with the newell story. I took the chance to buy it off the guy. I didn't know that much about them at the time, but it's a great looking reel that I knew could find a home in my collection. The catalog in the box is from 1981 so I'm assuming that's the model year. From the history I've been able to find it's his Carl Newells first production series, the blackie series.

Are these reels rare or common? Is it really even collectible? What is a 220-F blackie in the original box in unused condition worth?

I've broken down a lot of reels in the past and I've got to say, the simplicity in the design of this thing is amzing.

Thanks for the replies

I don't know the value to collectors, but the blackies were known to have the side plates crack. That's why they changed to the P-series with the chrome reinforced plates.

I do know that the C-series is the least desirable Newell--for either fishing, or collecting--unless one wanted a complete set from blackie to S-series.,

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

Yeah, by looking at the reel I understand why they made the change to the chrome rings. Do you know if the side plates had cracking issues due to overtightening the crews or from getting banged around in a boat?

This might be blasphemy on this forum, but as a catfisherman, this reel would make an outstanding big catfish reel. Thanks for the replies.

View PostYeah, by looking at the reel I understand why they made the change to the chrome rings. Do you know if the side plates had cracking issues due to overtightening the crews or from getting banged around in a boat?

This might be blasphemy on this forum, but as a catfisherman, this reel would make an outstanding big catfish reel. Thanks for the replies.

It's not blasphemy.

The Penn Squidder was the surfcaster's reel of choice for many years, and was widely used for other SW applications.

In the 70-odd years that it was made, it only held one IGFA All Tackle record. That was for either a blue or channel cat. Penn used to list all the IGFA records that their products ever held in their annual catalog.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

Not blasphemy at all on this forum. We have a lot of people who go for catfish and carp for that matter.

Great, I first came to this forum just looking for some thoughts on this reel, but looks like I found a place to spend some time.

Nice reel! Why don't I ever find things like that???

Thanks, It was honestly kind of an odd deal, this one pretty much found me.

I'll post some pics later of what I've got.

My first Newell was a 235 blackie that i bought from John Gibbs when he worked under the Bourne bridge back in the 80,s. The thing grew legs 3am one morning.

Since then i,ve picked up a couple of blackie 229,s.

The 229,s are all i need know that i don,t send lines out at low tide from a rod holder.

Oh ya the 235 was on a zziplex2500 that Ron Arra wrapped for me. Hope i never catch the person that stole it. I,d make a poor prison queen