Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John B

Kayak Launch In Barnstable

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

My wife and I were invited to visit friends in Barnstable this weekend. I am 90% sure I am going to bring the kayak along. I am much more familiar with the outer cape, so I could use a little advise as to where to launch the yak. Any help for launch sites with legal parking would be great. I did find two potential parking lots near the water via Google maps, but I have no idea what parking regulations they may have.

(most of my other questions were answered via search here, but this one i need some assistance.

Thanks for the help.

View PostBone hill road is the best one. Play the tides though its a long drag over sand to your car on a low tide.

Parking will be the issue here.The law has been issueing 'pleasantrys' to welcome you to the town of Barnstable.Not all the time.

BH road has a resident that is not particularly fond of fisherman, and the early morning noise. As a matter of fact, he paid the town for a detail to instruct folks where to park (more accurately, where not to park).

If you don't have a resident beach sticker, you may see a ticket. Over at Milway, you can pay to park (I think), after you lauch at the town ramp.

Better spot IMO on an outgoing tide. you'll cover more of the harbor that way. Put in at Milway 2ish hours before low, you should be able to drift from the main channel all the way to the East Bar, then drift back with the incoming.

Never been ticketed at Bone Hill? The 4-5 spots in the front are open for anyone to use, unless they changed it this year. I know lots of guys who use it to launch very regularly even launching mid-day.

View PostNever been ticketed at Bone Hill? The 4-5 spots in the front are open for anyone to use, unless they changed it this year. I know lots of guys who use it to launch very regularly even launching mid-day.

That's the limit of the legal parking.people parking on the road are the ones that are in jepordy.Back years ago the audubon tried to stop parking in the spots to the right saying it was THEIRS but that didn't last.The popularity has changed the area like everywhere else.

View PostMy wife and I were invited to visit friends in Barnstable this weekend. I am 90% sure I am going to bring the kayak along. I am much more familiar with the outer cape, so I could use a little advise as to where to launch the yak. Any help for launch sites with legal parking would be great. I did find two potential parking lots near the water via Google maps, but I have no idea what parking regulations they may have.

(most of my other questions were answered via search here, but this one i need some assistance.

Thanks for the help.

If your friends have a resident sticker on their vehicle use theirs and go to Scudder Ln. early[limited parking].the town of Barnstable has 8 launching ramps in town and all but 1[blish point] are for residents only.

Thanks for the responses everyone. All excellent information here. I just learned the house we will be at is a 3 minute walk from Milway, so it seems parking won't be an issue. I will have to bring the cart though.

As far as Bone Hill goes, I don't mind contributing $ to the local economy, but I would rather do it in tackle shops and restuarants rather than a parking ticket.

If anyone sees a guy dragging around a gray OK Malibu 2, say hello.