Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KnotGuilty

???

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have fished with eels with a good deal of success using the cast and slow retrieve technique but I'm wondering: Does anyone know of a way to toss those wriggly little buggers out on a sinker without them making a complete mess of my line, i.e. fishing them as you would a sand worm on the bottom? I guess what I'm asking is there a way to do this without killing them?? I know you can put them on ice and they will "sleep" but I dont want them to come back to "full life" when they hit the water. Is there a way to "half kill" them or is there a rig that I can set up that will prevent them from tangling themselves in the line??? Will they work dead and not moving if sitting on the bottom???? The reason I ask is I have a spot I would like the try this at but don't want to loose a bunch of power pro expierimenting... Many questions, I know... Thanks for any suggestions guys.

I use eels all of the time but if I'm fishing on the bottom, chunks are a better way to go than eels. Changing out chunks every 10 minutes is a lot cheaper than changing out eels, and puts out a lot more stink to attrack them. I've never had great luck with an eel anchored to the bottom. Anchor a live one and they will find all kinds of ways to drive you crazy.

Dead or alive doesn't usually make much difference in water less than 8', as long as the eel is moving. Once you go over 8' it's better to have a live one that can swim down and stay near the bottom.

I have a friend that will occasionally bring his girlfriend fishing with us and he sets her up a fish finder rig and then he hooks the eel threw the tail. It seems to work well, as far as chunks being better than eels, thats just crazy talkkooky.gif . Slimey Snakes = Big stripers.... PERIOD!

View PostI have a friend that will occasionally bring his girlfriend fishing with us and he sets her up a fish finder rig and then he hooks the eel threw the tail. It seems to work well, as far as chunks being better than eels, thats just crazy talkkooky.gif . Slimey Snakes = Big stripers.... PERIOD!

If you're saying live or dead eels being fished by slowly reeling them in is better than chunks I would for the most part agree. If you are saying eels fished like chunks normally are (anchored to the bottom with no movement), are better than chunks then I couldn't agree less. Over 50 years of fishing I've met many die hard bait fisherman, who have accounted for many large stripers. Never meet one who would pick whole or chunked eels over chunked bunker, mack or herring. On the cape sand eels are often the top pick.

I also would never underestimate how effective chunks are for big stripers when you have people who know how to fish them.

My problem with fishing chunked macks on the bottom is that invariably, I get my rigging caught up on some orphaned lobster trap or other structure.

How do you avoit that? I've lost enough tackle on the bottom of my favorite UDL to stock the entire Kittery Trading Post.

In my experience, eels>chunks at night, and the reverse during the day, at least when fishing from shore. Particularly, if you find an area where there are good numbers of pogies and some, but not too many big blues around, fish big pogy chunks (2-3 chunks per pogy) on the bottom, and you may be amazed at the numbers of big stripers you can catch in shallow water on a hot and sunny afternoon.

I misread your post, I agree with the fact that a fresh chunk of bait will outfish a chunk of eel or a sunken eel. But I do think that live eels slow reeled will outfish just about anything at night time. I don't have 50 years of experience but I do have over 250 nights in over the last 3 seasons and have proven to many who fish with me that the eels produce.

View PostMy apologies to MichaelT .

No reason for an apology, everything posted here is individual experiences. I just wanted to be clear on what I was saying. Since I fish with eels much of the time I agree with you that they are a big bass bait.