Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugeDinghy

Tatum- dirty hit or not?

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

dirty or not?

I played football at a relatively high level (ILB).

I DO NOT think it was a dirty hit, receivers have to fear coming over the middle.

Could he have pulled up, yes, should he have, no...just my opinion..I know he was a real jerk and a head hunter, but that aside, this specific instance was not a dirty hit IMO

wasnt it a pre season game? overkill but he didnt owe stingley imo. you walk on that field you know you might not walk off. the league owed stingley, not the guy who hit him within the rules they laid out. a more sympathetic person might have reached out to the guy whos life and career you basically ruined but if you think tatum wasnt haunted by it your nuts. it followed him everywhere, i think he looked at it as admitting he was dirty if he apologized. he wasnt a bad guy for being too proud but makes it convenient for people to judge him when theyll never walk that mile

it was a pre-season game...shoot remember scrimmigas in HS or college, hard to hold back that early in the season..somebody gotta pay for you running two a days in the august heat biggrin.gif

From what I could see, it was more so the perceived lack of compassion after the fact rather than the actual hit that got under people's craw...I've read comments recently that he did indeed try to reach out towards Stingley and things just never panned out.

And conversely, Stingley showed compassion himself (shortly before he died) when Tatum had several toes amputated due to complications related to diabetes.

I've also read that the Stingley incident consumed Tatum moret than what people may have believed.

So in my opinion, the truth is somewhere in the middle as far as how 'cold hearted' Tatum was. But I never met the man and would welcome any stories that would sell me either way.

somebodys gonna pay regardless. i heard some talking head suggest that stingley was as much at fault for not checking his 9 and pulling up. think it was gumble

View PostFrom what I could see, it was more so the perceived lack of compassion after the fact rather than the actual hit that got under people's craw...I've read comments recently that he did indeed try to reach out towards Stingley and things just never panned out.

And conversely, Stingley showed compassion himself (shortly before he died) when Tatum had several toes amputated due to complications related to diabetes.

I've also read that the Stingley incident consumed Tatum moret than what people may have believed.

So in my opinion, the truth is somewhere in the middle as far as how 'cold hearted' Tatum was. But I never met the man and would welcome any stories that would sell me either way.

from what i understand the guy was a grade a arsehole...but I think folks (media especially) played it out in the larger context- attitude, history etc- versus what it was, a punishing, over the middle hit..tatum did his job, simple as that (I am agreeing with you).

View PostNope...hit was as clean as a whistle. I didn't hit as hard playing D1 (MLB) but I wouldn't let up either...you came thru my zone, you got popped..period

tie with the whistle (even a 1/2 second after) goes to the hitter! biggrin.gif

View Posttie with the whistle (even a 1/2 second after) goes to the hitter! biggrin.gif

icon14.gif ILB, huh? I must be ton older than you biggrin.gif When I played we were still playing 4-3 defenses, me playing the middle. You youngsters biggrin.gif

View Posticon14.gif ILB, huh? I must be ton older than you biggrin.gif When I played we were still playing 4-3 defenses, me playing the middle. You youngsters biggrin.gif

in prep I played strong side in a classic two linebacker set, but in college they ran a 4-3 until I got there, then we ran a hybrid, kinda like a 6-1 so I could roam free and do damage...we had a good secondary, so 1 on 1 wasnt an issue, and there was no way they were gonna run on us..none.

View Postin prep I played strong side in a classic two linebacker set, but in college they ran a 4-3 until I got there, then we ran a hybrid, kinda like a 6-1 so I could roam free and do damage...we had a good secondary, so 1 on 1 wasnt an issue, and there was no way they were gonna run on us..none.

It was legal at the time. Now he'd probably get at least a 4 game suspension and 6 digit fine for that hit. The fact that it was a pre-season game, and Tatum at least publically was apathetic about Stingley's plight, is what bothered me (yes, I'm old enough to remember it biggrin.gif).

It was a clean hit that had tragic results--that's all. It would be a legal hit even today. He drove his shoulder into Stingley's chest--he didn't lead with his helmet. That's my recollection of it, without doing a YouTube search for the video of it. It was no different than 1000 other hits that other safeties have laid on guys on crossing routes. He arrived simultaneous with the ball.

In fact, on the famous "Immaculate Reception" play a few years earlier, Tatum hit the receiver--I think it was Frenchy Fuqua--as hard as he hit Stingely. If he had played the ball instead of focusing on laying the receiver out, that ball would have never caromed to Franco.

His teammate in the Raiders' secondary, George Atkinson, was a much dirtier player than Tatum. Tatum had a rep as a headhunter, but the overwhelming majority of his hits were hard, but clean. Safteies own the deep middle--it's their back yard. You don't lay receivers out on crossing routes when you have the chance, you son't have a long NFL career.

Pre-season or not--you're playing for a spot on the team, and playing for a starting position. Defenders who pull up and don't give 100% get hurt as much as receivers do.