Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rpearlberg

Tsunami vs Ugly Stik

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Need to be more specific here. I started off with my Sargus 5000 and a 10; Tsunami Rated H. It was great for starters, and for what I did. What type of fishing would you do, and where? Jetty, surf inlet? I used mine for tins and bucktails in the surf and I chunked with 4 and bait and could have went to 6 n bait. Need more info here,

Spinning setup from a boat? Im not big on that, but the Tsunami airwave, 701MH is a good stick, but and ugly stick custom can work as well.

IMO get and avet sx and a tsunami 7ft coventional setup and you are golden.

Have a tsunami trophy surf rod 7' mh, I do not fish from a boat but the rod is nice and light and has a good feel for pecking around the surf with a hopkins in the evening.

I've used the sargus 5000 and the tsunami 701 mh for blues albies and bass. No problem with that outfit handling those fish from a boat. I prefer the spinner for bluefish for everything except drifting chunks then convench is the way to go

tsunami airwaves are so much lighter and better for casting lures

however ugly sticks are probably more durable and heavier- better for soaking bait

both rods are suitable to handle medium size fish

View Posttsunami airwaves are so much lighter and better for casting lures

however ugly sticks are probably more durable and heavier- better for soaking bait

both rods are suitable to handle medium size fish

Good advice for sure. Ugly sticks are legendary for their unbreakable nature and durability. If they weren't poorly balanced, spongy in the tip, and overly heavy we would all be using them. Airwaves are light, pretty well balanced and fairly inexpensive but build quality and durability are nowhere near the ugly stick.

View PostGood advice for sure. Ugly sticks are legendary for their unbreakable nature and durability. If they weren't poorly balanced, spongy in the tip, and overly heavy we would all be using them. Airwaves are light, pretty well balanced and fairly inexpensive but build quality and durability are nowhere near the ugly stick.

Dont load the tsunami too much, or snap!

I have both...10ft surf rods..the ugly stick is about 5 years old and a great choice. The airwave is lighter and has a great return policy, which I already had to use...no questions asked, just replaced.