Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lowpine

flounder gigging

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Next week I'm headed down to the NC coast, we want to try flounder gigging. I've never tried it before, but it sounds like a lot of fun. Does anyone have any tips for a total flounder-giggin-noob? smile.gif

Oh, I do have the boat, but still need to get the gig and float light. I've seen the trident tips, but someone suggested that a single prong spear is better... opinions? How long should the spear be anyway, I was thinking 10'

thanks,

steve

Lot's more things you need to know. Can you spot a flounder buried in the sand and tell which end is the head and which is the tail and more importantly how big it is? Don't want to stick anything under sized or any females. Do you know which direction to pole the boat? How you gonna power your lights? How you gonna keep from electrocuting yourself?

View PostLot's more things you need to know. Can you spot a flounder buried in the sand and tell which end is the head and which is the tail and more importantly how big it is? Don't want to stick anything under sized or any females. Do you know which direction to pole the boat? How you gonna power your lights? How you gonna keep from electrocuting yourself?

yep, lots to know here, I don't have all the answers, that's why I started the thread. I'm not sure if you're trying to be helpful or a smartie here.... electrocuting myself, I guess I'll leave the extension cord at home biggrin.gif . Seriously, I rigged up a float light with a plastic container with led flashlights. Loads of light and battery life, cheap, and no 12v to fool with.

As far as which end to stick, the head end has the eyes. Check out the video link above, even on night shot video it looks pretty easy to tell which end is the head.

I agree, I don't want to stick shorties, we'll only stick the ones that look big enough.

As far as keeping the females, I've never heard of anyone throwing back a large flattie caught hook-n-line because it's a female? really, never heard of that.