Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lancejohnson

Fluke

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

we keep catching fluke from the shore, even though we're not specifically fishing for them- just throwing metal for blues. I can't remember ever catching this many. Is anybody else hitting a lot of fluke or is it just my location?

On a side note, I had forgotten how big their teeth are.

yea they seem to be plentiful from the surf this year. June there was a mess of them when the sandeels were around, and just yesterday we picked up a little guy at the start of the incoming around sunset off of a boulder field. Like you said even the shorts have some impressive teeth.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't usually plan a surf trip targeting fluke they are just plentiful from certain spots this year. Only one day in June I did focus on them due to ideal conditions, chart. spro bucktail with a sandeel pattern fly teaser no squid or spearing. Other then that I've got them on zoom superflukes (no pun), and most of the time on the fly when I'm using a teaser while tossing plugs and bucktails. If you're actually going to target them from shore this time of year, you're probably going to have to get through a mess of sea robins and shorts especially if you're using bait. Since you're not drifting on a boat, I'd recommend a bucktail with a teaser to cover enough area instead of just chucking some squid and spearing and letting it sit. Or if you are flyrodder, do that I see plenty of guys picking them up at certain spots. If they are there you'll have a shot.

striperfishermanCT

we've been catching them with kastmasters and deadly dick's with a pretty fast retrieve! I've even caught a few on poppers too, but that was in shallow water.