Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
silverjetta78

Understanding Shock Leaders?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

It is basically a length of heavy line (mono... 40lb-100lb test often) that is long enough to wrap around the spool a few times so that the load of casting heavier weight is absorbed by the heavy line, not the lighter main line or the knot between the two. Do a search for shock leader in the Main Forum and settle in foir a winter's worth of reading. Look here too. http://www.stripersonline.com/Pages/..._leaders.shtml

Shock leaders are more commonly used with conventionals... but as you might have seen in some recent threads, there are some folks who use them on spinning gear too (poor souls....hahaha.tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gifhighfive.gif). Anyway, that's my basic explanation. I'm sure there are many others who might post.

In Hawaii we call it "rub line" as the line that will rub the sharp reef when the Ulua runs after hitting your bait. Typical line size would be 100# to 200# test, Some Ulua fisherman use 300# attach with an albrite, double line bimini twist to mainline 80#.

I used to use forty pound leader with my Alvey reel, fourteen foot rod and twenty pound mono, any decent effort and four ounce's would snap the mainline every time.