Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Easy tail wrap question...

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Sometimes on my tail wraps, the tail is skewed to the left or right when the nose loop is straight. Can I just grab each end with pliers and twist, or will this stress and weaken the wire?

I find the wire to be a bit springy and not like being forced. I'm also worried about scratching up the plug. I've tried this a couple times with bad results.

Which wiring method are you using? THat wire is pretty strong, BUT, I would not tweak the wire to much after you have already finished your wraps.

If your using the screwdriver or allen wrench in the vise method, flip the plug over after you make first turn of the wire. Try to keep a constant tension on plug while wrapping. The wraps should slip in under themselves.

View PostWhich wiring method are you using? THat wire is pretty strong, BUT, I would not tweak the wire to much after you have already finished your wraps.

If your using the screwdriver or allen wrench in the vise method, flip the plug over after you make first turn of the wire. Try to keep a constant tension on plug while wrapping. The wraps should slip in under themselves.

I use the roundnose plier method. Kinda hard to land the wraps in the right spot every time it seems...

Make it straight, you're already twisting it up and around itself. A little more tweaking is fine. Don't cut the tag end off before you do it though, you may nee to squeeze it under the wire more after you adjust. I use the allen key as a holder as it allows me to put straight pressure on the loop and keep it aligned.

use masking tape, double it up if you wish. I cut my tail wrap stubs with a Dremel and a cutting disk and use double thick masking tape under the stub in case I slip a bit. First time it smacks on a rock or meets a blue - won't matter anyway.biggrin.gif

View Postuse masking tape, double it up if you wish. I cut my tail wrap stubs with a Dremel and a cutting disk and use double thick masking tape under the stub in case I slip a bit. First time it smacks on a rock or meets a blue - won't matter anyway.biggrin.gif

Amazing how I don't think of these things.bucktooth.giffreak.gif Thank you.

Also try this. Hold the plug in your hand and with your thumb press out and away from your plug the tag end. This will stop it and your cutting tool from hitting the back of your plug.