Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surfrat666

A different commercial fishing model -Could this ever work?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

The argument over fish stocks between the commerical and recreational sectors (and the government "regulators") will likely be going on as long as there is a single fish left in the ocean. In addition to arguments over catch allocations, there continue to be discussions about bycatch, slot limits and the destruction caused by various methods of commerical fishing.

I was thinking about the model in general and was wondering if a change in the overall structure might work better. What if we tried something like this for one speciesto see how effective it would be:

- Make all or part of the commercial fishery hook and line only

- Have open commerical boats where they'd be set up like party boats, but instead of paying to come aboard, "patrons" would fish for the benefit of the boat. All fish go into the hold for the boat when caught. At the end of each trip, the "patrons" would receive a certain amount of fish (10lbs, 20lbs?...I don't know what that number should be)...The boat keeps the rest as a commercial catch.

- This should minimize bycatch in that each fish could be checked against slot size and non-desirable species can be thrown back alive

- Theoretically, this could be done for multiple species on the same boat

- I suppose each boat could have a certain number of dedicated employees in addition to the captain that get paid, but I'm not sure how it would work if you wanted to pay the "patrons" a per trip stipend - probably too much govt involvement with taxes etc.

- Make incentives based on catch numbers to keep everyone fishing throughout the trip.

- While people might say this is far less efficient than dragging a net, it would likely bring about the need for more boats and people

Potential problems with this idea that might have to be tackled:

- Liability issues

- Deadbeat fisherman (catch one and loaf the rest of the trip)

- The regulation hurdle (just because everything that is regulated is onerous)

Perhaps this has been tried before...perhaps it's a crazy idea that would never work...Just figured I'd brainstorm out lout here and see what kind of feedback it elicits.

Any thoughts?

View PostThe argument over fish stocks between the commerical and recreational sectors (and the government "regulators") will likely be going on as long as there is a single fish left in the ocean. In addition to arguments over catch allocations, there continue to be discussions about bycatch, slot limits and the destruction caused by various methods of commerical fishing.

I was thinking about the model in general and was wondering if a change in the overall structure might work better. What if we tried something like this for one speciesto see how effective it would be:

- Make all or part of the commercial fishery hook and line only

- Have open commerical boats where they'd be set up like party boats, but instead of paying to come aboard, "patrons" would fish for the benefit of the boat. All fish go into the hold for the boat when caught. At the end of each trip, the "patrons" would receive a certain amount of fish (10lbs, 20lbs?...I don't know what that number should be)...The boat keeps the rest as a commercial catch.

- This should minimize bycatch in that each fish could be checked against slot size and non-desirable species can be thrown back alive

- Theoretically, this could be done for multiple species on the same boat

- I suppose each boat could have a certain number of dedicated employees in addition to the captain that get paid, but I'm not sure how it would work if you wanted to pay the "patrons" a per trip stipend - probably too much govt involvement with taxes etc.

- Make incentives based on catch numbers to keep everyone fishing throughout the trip.

- While people might say this is far less efficient than dragging a net, it would likely bring about the need for more boats and people

Potential problems with this idea that might have to be tackled:

- Liability issues

- Deadbeat fisherman (catch one and loaf the rest of the trip)

- The regulation hurdle (just because everything that is regulated is onerous)

Perhaps this has been tried before...perhaps it's a crazy idea that would never work...Just figured I'd brainstorm out lout here and see what kind of feedback it elicits.

Any thoughts?

I love this. it would create a heck of a lot more jobs and reduce bycatch.

Why is it not likely to happen?

In New Jersey anyway because we have a corrupt government.

you could also set it up that the patrons pay to get on the boat same as a charter boat, they get to keep their limit, but anything over the limit goes to the boat.

this way, the boat is not paying the patrons; so they won't have to deal with any tax and local law issues, and the boat is making some money on both the patrons paying to fish as well as the extra fish it gets to keep and sell commercially.