Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JTF

Row Frame for Fishing?

5 posts in this topic

Ran across an interesting rowing craft that might be suitable for surf launch and fishing if it could be rigged for small cargo carry. It's called: ROCAT.

Breaks down, car topable, light and fast. The two pontoons weigh about 40 lbs. I haven't seen one or rowed it. Anyone here familar with it?

I had a look at their website and it says they are not for sale (I gather that they've built a production prototype). If/when the get around to building boats for sale, they are likely to be quite expensive (complicated sliding rigger design, two hulls, and carbon fiber riggers is going to add up, and I'm not clear what the market would be, as sliding riggers are not allowed in competitive rowing, plus the spread is really wide so I would be surprised if people would want to switch between a standard sliding seat boat and the ROCAT). "Recreational" rowing shells go for $3K+ new (this is nothing compared to racing boats, which go for $8-15K, depending on the builder and construction).

View PostI had a look at their website and it says they are not for sale (I gather that they've built a production prototype). If/when the get around to building boats for sale, they are likely to be quite expensive (complicated sliding rigger design, two hulls, and carbon fiber riggers is going to add up, and I'm not clear what the market would be, as sliding riggers are not allowed in competitive rowing, plus the spread is really wide so I would be surprised if people would want to switch between a standard sliding seat boat and the ROCAT). "Recreational" rowing shells go for $3K+ new (this is nothing compared to racing boats, which go for $8-15K, depending on the builder and construction).

If he is as slow on production as he's been in r&d, it will be a while.

I read this for a recreactional frame, not competition, $3000 isn't out of a market range for a rowing craft, most driftboat prices are over $5000, with higher quality inflatables & frames not too far behind.

I don't think the seat slides, the legs help the propulsion. There is a row/sail boat maker in WA state that makes these articulated attatchment for their hulls, it's less than $500.

I would'nt be surprised to see row crafts used on the obx for surf launch, if they ever open the beaches in summer again. There are still some row surf dories down our way, saw one in Harkers a few years ago. Might be a good way to get around in NMZ's in inland FL.

View PostIf he is as slow on production as he's been in r&d, it will be a while.

I read this for a recreactional frame, not competition, $3000 isn't out of a market range for a rowing craft, most driftboat prices are over $5000, with higher quality inflatables & frames not too far behind.

I don't think the seat slides, the legs help the propulsion. There is a row/sail boat maker in WA state that makes these articulated attatchment for their hulls, it's less than $500.

I would'nt be surprised to see row crafts used on the obx for surf launch, if they ever open the beaches in summer again. There are still some row surf dories down our way, saw one in Harkers a few years ago. Might be a good way to get around in NMZ's in inland FL.

Don't get me wrong, I think the boat is very interesting and should be very fast. I like the high height off the water and the high rigging (the open water rowing shells I've rowed had low and relatively wide hulls, and the rigging on the Maas boats I've rowed was really low).

And yes, the foot stretchers and rigger slide - the seat is stationary. The set up they have looks a little complicated (to be sure, I'm not a fan of complicated stuff out on the water), but the sliding rigger set up is faster than a sliding seat rig (so much so that sliding rigger racing boats were banned from competition pretty much immediately after they first appeared).

View Post the sliding rigger set up is faster than a sliding seat rig (so much so that sliding rigger racing boats were banned from competition pretty much immediately after they first appeared).

If somebody hasn't written a book about the love/hate of sports and technology they should. At one point the sliding seat was radical too.

The recent stories around everything from aluminum bats to hi-tech full body swimsuits to America's cup yachts are fascinating: whether to mediate the tech to level the playing field, or let the best tech flood the sport to saturation, and usually let the wealthiest competitors dominate.

I look forward to seeing this ROCAT in the pages of SkyMall.